90s HIP HOP

BeenHotRecords

I miss the era of 90s hip hop todays hip hop is different nobody cares anymore they using it as a quick hustle cause they got a buzz and its wack for the most part.

Yeah I see where you are coming from but, personally I think its expected when something gets a big as hip hop is now. The beautiful thing is that there are still plenty of artists in love with the art form and doing out of passion you just have to survive through the mass amounts that don't to find them. They are out there though.

Do you miss it due to regional bias e.g. you are from New York and where you are from EPMD was/is most known from the historical perspective as they were from Long Island aka Strong Island, or do you miss it 'cause you can't relate to what is being said which hasn't changed subject matter wise in 4 decades.

Every era had and always will have its quick buck chasing hustlers, this is connected to the fact that Hip Hop is street music. Think about how your average rapper used to and probably still markets himself: pimp, thug, player, hustler, mack, gangsta, baller, etc. and those were/are subculture personas as old as America itself.

I miss from the 90s when rappers beef would be so supposedly "real" (in quotations 'cause many beefs were staged) that they wouldn't even collab on the same track nor be in the same video. Now rappers pretend to be friends e.g. "industry" friends. Other thing I miss is when rappers had civic pride e.g. regionalism but what I don't miss as a Black female is when we could sell only sex as I can listen to several females in this era who ain't named Nicki. As much as I'm anti industry the one thing done right was quality control on the labels part.

Last edited:
The 90s is definitely the best era of hip hop imo no doubt. Today it's very easy to get music out there compared to the 90s which opens a lot of doors for both talented and wack artists. The issue is too for me is that it's very easy to sell out. Simply follow a trend that a lot of people like and you'll get a buzz. Of course, that argument can easily be used for many other things outside of hiphop. I also blame that effective promotion is really what helps people make it today. Not talent.

Yes buddy i think you are right!!!! i fell you man !!! i constantly struggle to find new artists with that thing of the 90's but then i realized that the 90's are gone!!! Now is a new music the technology makes every song sound the same ..... when performing LIVE you have to have a big talent.....

well a good artist is ANDERSON PAAK a real character and a real artist... i love the song by him called "SUEDE" is the best.
i hope you like him, let me know.

I still remember some extremely wack hiphop from the 90's... lots of rasta dudes wearing the same oversized army fatigues trying to look like diggidy Das EFX.. lol.
Check out this joke remix I did.. and the extremely wack 90's rapping on it (after the first verse).
Da Youngstas was like Kriss Kross, kiddie hop.. this is them trying to come off all Mobb Deep.

I still remember a lot of people complaining about it then too, saying '88 was the year real hiphop died.
None of those people ever made records worth listening too, though.. they just cried when Rawkus was bought by Puff Daddy. So there's that, haha.

I feel like you had to be extremely talented to be a rapper in the 90s but it seems like now u just have to have a little talent or no talent at all. I blame the public for listening to the new stuff thats garbage. If we stopped talking about it and promoting the garbage they would have no choice but to step up the music they are releasing. There seems to be no more originality now every artist sounds and looks the same.

Understand that the change in music has nothing to do with the artists out there but more to do with the machine that's behind the industry. There are still artists out there from the 90's making music and also new artists that maintain that same structure, it's just that the industry refuses to bring these artist to the commercial and mainstream level anymore.

Understand that the change in music has nothing to do with the artists out there but more to do with the machine that's behind the industry. There are still artists out there from the 90's making music and also new artists that maintain that same structure, it's just that the industry refuses to bring these artist to the commercial and mainstream level anymore.

Let em know.

That's it... i'm gonna make a mixtape of extremely wack oldschool hiphop.. I bet cats are still gonna love it because it's old and old is good apparently.

That's it... i'm gonna make a mixtape of extremely wack oldschool hiphop.. I bet cats are still gonna love it because it's old and old is good apparently.

There were plenty of plenty back in the day that were trash and called out as trash. Just because it's "oldschool" doesn't mean it all of a sudden became good.

Last edited:
I'm late to the discussion but, it's a hot one. Once you start speaking of music in terms of generations/decades, you risk the attempt of sounding like your parents: "This music sucks! The music I grew up on is 10x's better!"... In this case though, I happen to agree to an extent..

The difference between the 80's, 90's and 00's Hip-Hop is, it's popularity. The more popular it becomes, the more up-and-coming artists simply see it as a cash grab and not a form of art/expression. There is also less appreciation for its origins - or what made it special to begin with. Every argument made from anyone in love with Hip-Hop will revert to the 90's and I think the main reason is because it simply offered more variety. Jay-Z, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang, Rakim, Nas, Busta Rhymes - all very popular in the 90's (and some still to this day) but, none of them sound-alike. Hip-Hop artists in those days would pride themselves on having their own style... Not so much in 00's...

It's hard to differentiate an artists sound in 00's - aside of a couple stand-outs (J.Cole, Kendrick, Big K.R.I.T to name a few).. No one wants to push the envelope. In addition, since the market is flooded with mainly one particular style, A&R's search for that sound and also most fans are listening for it. With both of those aspects in play, even established artists will gravitate towards it to remain relevant..

So, is 90's Hip-Hop better than 00's? Maybe.... If for any reason, I'll say for - originality.

I miss the era of 90s hip hop todays hip hop is different nobody cares anymore they using it as a quick hustle cause they got a buzz and its wack for the most part.

the sad part is its the producers/beatmakers are the ones who make these guys big none of em have skill on the mic they just ride the coat tails of great production

Back