808's Please die

I really fail to see how anyone could be tired of 808s. They're so crisp and bone-rattling but you can program them to smoothness too.

Perfect recent example:

Don't tell me you don't walk away happy as sh*t when that flute part comes in lol

808s have been in heavy use since the 80s. Not sure where you been at. Cats slowed down on using them for a few years and then Lil Jon came back in 2000 and had people fall in love with them again.

they sound so cool though.
aint no way they goin anywhere.
what do you want to replace them??

A BASSLINE. That's what they substitute for but don't come as close to sounding as good as. 808 tracks are soul less. Motown/Soul records were driven by the bassline (James Jamerson). Why learn how to play bass or spend an hour coming up with a bassline when you can use an 808 and take 15 minutes?

But its everywhere, where is the variety in the drums? every song sounds the same, like what was yall bumpin to before they even became relevant again? oh, ok.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Man the fact that its practically SHOVED in my face daily is enough to hate it, and its not even so much as the drums per se , the whole Trap ish is gettin lame as well too because Producers emulate a style thats most likely not even befitting to them, theyre just tryna fit in, hence the over saturation

i agree with you Chad but its like making Rock music with no guitar. if i don't bump off in the club or stay hittin in the trunk, then basically it ain't shit. so you gotta be creative with 808's or not use them at all. there's plenty of hip hop music i grew up on without 808's but people need that bottom end. think about it.:monkey:

A BASSLINE. That's what they substitute for but don't come as close to sounding as good as. 808 tracks are soul less. Motown/Soul records were driven by the bassline (James Jamerson). Why learn how to play bass or spend an hour coming up with a bassline when you can use an 808 and take 15 minutes?
Why not use an 808 with a bassline? If done properly they work just fine

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I agree. Let's bring it back to that real authentic sound.

The irony of this post is that this song has an 808 lol

Pretty sure even Dr. Dre used 808.

Its not about the sounds, its HOW you use them. Theere are a bunch of other sounds in the 808, its just that producers only use the trap types.

It's sad how lost people are to what actually goes into the music they think they're making on a higher scale of quality than everyone else.

Anyone in any genre of modern music including rock and orchestral music scores shouldn't bother trying to make it in music if they aren't aware of times a good 808 can fill in the right spot in their composition.

They've shown up in movie scores like The 300(not Timpanis, 808s), bands like Maroon 5, Tool, and Linkin Park utilize them.

It's just dumb to think they don't have a place in music because you're so shallow minded all you think of is how they've been overused in trap music. That doesn't even equate to a small percentage of their use through music history.

lets stop using hi hats because they're in every song.

Back