White Man Shoots Black Teen Because His Music Was Too Loud, Uses “Stand Your Ground”

Kendall143

A Florida teen lost his life after being shot over the weekend, allegedly because his music was too loud. Jordan Russell Davis, 17, was gunned down by 45-year-old Michael Dunn following a verbal exchange.
The unarmed teen who was with his friends at a gas a station in Jacksonville, refused to turn his music down, which led to him being shot by Dunn at least “eight or nine times.”

Dunn told police that the group was blasting the music in their car, which was adjacent to his vehicle. After having words, he asserts that he was in fear for his life and used his gun under the “stand your ground” law. “He got threatened and had to do what he had to do, and it's sad, so sad,” his daughter told a local new station. “A terrible tragedy on both sides. It really is. I don't know. What are you going to do in that situation? You don't know what you are going to do. He just reacted.”

Read more at White Man Shoots Black Teen Because His Music Was Too Loud, Uses

Last edited:
That's just messed up and a terrible tragedy. you never really learn to like seeing things like this.

No gun pulled but he felt threatened? I also heard the teen was still in the vehicle, in the backseat at that (this could be wrong).

They really need to tighten up the language of that law or just do away with it completely because what's threatening to me could be totally innocent to the next man. Besides if the law stands with the way it is right now then. I can see so may people using to justify murder

I don't see the necessity of the law, common sense knows self-defense when it sees it. It really comes off as a way for someone to exercise self-offense instead of self-defense. Essentially looking for trouble instead of trying to avoid it. In this case all because someone wouldn't turn their music down. SMH. You shouldn't be able to kill someone just for being a douche. Sadly nothing will change. People are going to make a goofy RIP post on Facebook, burn one and forget it ever happened.

Seems like some white people see blacks as over mighty predators that will rape your daughter and steal your wife if you don't shoot them immediately

Everyone's comments are wll put. Like Casso said, this does more to justify self-offense than self-defense. I'm from Florida and this "law" has to either be done away with or rewritten like Kelevra said. Not a month goes by that I don't hear this law mentioned.

I'm embarrased to be an American with these NRA idiots (and others) still defending this law.

Under this law, as long as it's just you and one other person in a given area, no potential witnesses around, I have a right to kill you (and vice-versa) if I make up some excuse to feel threatened by your presence.

I could kill the neighborhood ice cream man stating that I felt threatened when he reached underneath the window to go grab my ice cream, I thought he was gonna pull out a gun so I killed him.

So long as nobody is around to see it, and it's just us 2, it's just me vs. a dead body left to defend itself. The killer will walk away free everytime...

kkk niggas reading this story in a meeting somewhere rejoicing.
they put it in a frame somewhere with the trayvon story.

Just saw these numbers. Check this: When using the Stand Your Ground defense in court...

People who have used it in the killing of a black person have walked away free 73% of the time.
People who have used it in the killing of a white person have walked away free 59% of the time.

Sound like some Jim Crow s---. Not safe to be a brotha in Florida.

this never happens in europe, you guys are crazy, I'm familiar with such stories due to my facebook. Crazy laws. To me threatened would be he is coming at you with a gun or coming with a knife - then run or if you can't- shoot his leg.

Just saw these numbers. Check this: When using the Stand Your Ground defense in court...

People who have used it in the killing of a black person have walked away free 73% of the time.
People who have used it in the killing of a white person have walked away free 59% of the time.

Sound like some Jim Crow s---. Not safe to be a brotha in Florida.

you demonstrate the problem of statistics: remember the saying, "there's lies, there's damned lies and then there are statistics"

A statistic without context is meaningless - what other factors not highlighted by the single number contributed to the differences?

How many of those who killed a white guy were white?
How many of those who killed a black guy were black?
How many Hispanics were involved in the killing of either colour?
How many Middle Eastern people were involved in the killing of either colour?
How many Central Asians were involved in the killing of either colour?
How many East Asians were involved in the killing of either colour?
How many Hispanics walked free?
How many Middle Eastern people walked free?
How many Central Asians walked free?
How many East Asians walked free?
How many black guys walked free?
How many white guys walked free?

The answers to those questions and many more, would provide a more definitive picture of how the law is used and abused by all - a single number relating to two target groups is not enough to know if there is bias or racism involved in the decisions of the courts and the police....

As far as I am concerned it is not safe to be any colour in Florida if someone can kill me and justify it as "I was threatened, so I defended myself....."

Just shows how F'd up this country Judical system is. Apparently America is suppose to be the land of the free..but it should be more like the land of the enslaved. People cant get decent paying jobs, you go to college for 4 yrs and spend the next 10+ years paying it off by loans, people get life sentences for selling drugs compared to a murderer that can kill a kid and pretty much go free. Oh and lets not forget the Casey Anothony case..smh I was in the Air Force at one point but didnt finish training due to a injury, glad i didnt finish because i'd hate to fight for a country that pretty much could care less about its citizens!

Back