what do you think is wrong music these days?

That's because most music these days is made on machines and the elder scrolls is optional.
Music theory is one hell of an elder scroll, at first I resisted learning the secrets of the theory, but as my knowledge grew ever so slightly of the methods used to keep the balance of the scrolls intact I start to wonder if most[including me] music sound so ass because most of the time we ignore the basics of such cardinal knowledge to begin with unless sound design and 808's is involved?

In a sense yes, I think THIS is the underlying issue in MOST music as we see it today, and I am definitely of partial fault for such ignorance as such with my "this is not fun it is hard" attitude and would rather use a mouse to click notes in the piano roll.

I think it is the sole act of disregarding the elder scrolls in the first place is the problem, it was probably created to ward off such ignorance and to strengthen the bond between man and melody. To how it came to be, not sure at all of the origin story. But I do know this, as such accumulates from my scarce knowledge meat...that is definitely the issue. The problem is summed up into the very word that rends drive and determination.

Laziness.

Nothing is wrong with music these days. If anything, its better than ever from a consumer standpoint. I am no longer forced to listen to anything I don't or know I won't like and the selection and accessibility is greater than its ever been. There is absolutely NO reason to complain if you are strictly a music lover. No more having to plan my life around taping a one hour experimental music show that only comes on Sunday mornings at 1 am, now I can have my weird shit 24/7 wherever I am at, on my iPad, iPhone, in the bathroom, on a flight, at work, in the car, on the bus........

Furthermore, the complaint about how "meaningful" "message-driven" music isn't popular in the mainstream is outdated as hell-the complaint made sense back in the early-to-mid '00's when we were strictly in the post-jiggy, pre-crunk, snap music era and there was no YT and streaming was still this thing only college kids did. Back then, all you had to rely on was the radio and music mix shows, $15.00 CD's and piracy was becoming a thing, so that complaint was valid. But these days, if all you wanna do is listen to thoughtful music...well......fire up your Spotify or Pandora playlist and stfu with the outdated sentiments.

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong with music these days. If anything, its better than ever from a consumer standpoint.
Thing is, music is art.
Its about more than just the consumption of it.
From that point of view, its kind of broken af right now.

I am no longer forced to listen to anything I don't or know I won't like
Is that a good thing though...?
You say 'forced', but what about the word 'exposed'?
You are no longer exposed to anything you dont know or like. Thats not good.

There is absolutely NO reason to complain if you are strictly a music lover.
Agree there.
The huge number of people making music, and the ability for anyone to access any of it is something that is pretty great right now.

No more having to plan my life around taping a one hour experimental music show that only comes on Sunday mornings at 1 am, now I can have my weird shit 24/7 wherever I am at, on my iPad, iPhone, in the bathroom, on a flight, at work, in the car, on the bus........
Again, not sure that is all positive.
That ease of accessibility and customization devalues music in general.

Furthermore, the complaint about how "meaningful" "message-driven" music isn't popular in the mainstream is outdated as hell-the complaint made sense back in the early-to-mid '00's when we were strictly in the post-jiggy, pre-crunk, snap music era and there was no YT and streaming was still this thing only college kids did. Back then, all you had to rely on was the radio and music mix shows, $15.00 CD's and piracy was becoming a thing, so that complaint was valid. But these days, if all you wanna do is listen to thoughtful music...well......fire up your Spotify or Pandora playlist and stfu with the outdated sentiments.

Well thats just silly.

For some people "message-driven" is more than just a tag or a sub-genre. For some people its the reason they make music.
Either way, it is un-arguably more relevant and more needed right now than it has ever been.

Thing is, music is art.
Its about more than just the consumption of it.
From that point of view, its kind of broken af right now.
Doesn't matter, I said, "from a CONSUMER standpoint". What you think music "is" is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Is that a good thing though...?
You say 'forced', but what about the word 'exposed'?
You are no longer exposed to anything you dont know or like. Thats not good.
Neither is twisting my words to make a silly straw man.

Agree there.
The huge number of people making music, and the ability for anyone to access any of it is something that is pretty great right now.
Oh really? Because you contradicted yourself below.

Again, not sure that is all positive.
That ease of accessibility and customization devalues music in general.

Well thats just silly.

For some people "message-driven" is more than just a tag or a sub-genre. For some people its the reason they make music.
Either way, it is un-arguably more relevant and more needed right now than it has ever been.
Missed my point. I wasn't making a statement about the relevancy OR validity of "message-driven music", but simply stating that the ACCESSIBILITY and AVAILABILITY of "message-driven" music is no longer dependent of such narrow methods of delivery. From a CONSUMER standpoint, which I clearly stated above. Why people make music is not the point here.

Oh, ok werd. I did miss your point about delivery systems re: message driven music.
I stand by the rest.

Doesn't matter, I said, "from a CONSUMER standpoint". What you think music "is" is irrelevant to the point I was making.
But, it was relevant to the point I was making. We both made points about the topic of the thread...
Thats how this shit works.
It doesnt matter to your point that music is art, obviously. I was showing another point of view.
I might say that music is defined as art before it is defined as a consumer product, and, that that is not just my opinion.
Whatever.

Neither is twisting my words to make a silly straw man.
Do you only "battle" on forums or what? Quotes piss you off? Youre all defense.
I dont think I misrepresented what your point. I restated it, to make a point.
Again, that is how this shit works. Like, care to make a counter point re: the point of that brutal strawmanning..? Or, just call 'strawman!', and.. you win? Ok with me, I guess.

Oh really? Because you contradicted yourself below.
ffs. Sure. You could see it that way, if you are more interested in snarky forum comments than seeing my point. Doesnt seem like you are really interested in uh, exchange of ideas.

But ya, I feel like there is push and pull where increased access for creators to create and distribute=good for everyone, but at the same time, increased access for listeners to filter/homogenize/channel/tag/upvote everything=bad for everyone (in the long run).
Im coming from a music=art point of view when I say that, but all those factors contribute to the devaluation of music as product too, although they might make the business of music work a lot better...

Missed my point. I wasn't making a statement about the relevancy OR validity of "message-driven music"
True. Apologies.
You win that hand! lol

It's simply capitalism 101. Supply and demand. There is no longer a demand for music. We as humans have developed short attention spans for it due to technology and accessibility. We will no longer financially support it like we once did. So no new artist will ever seem as big as old artists who accumulated millions while making labels billions because without the financial support, there are no over the top videos, huge album budgets, ect. The plus side to this is these days, any artist has the ability to take their career into their own hands on a scale that once upon a time was unimaginable. You can record/mix/master an album at your mom's house for nothing more than the cost of a computer, shoot/edit a video for the cost of a decent HD camera, share vids all over the net, sell thru iTunes/google/spotify/amazon/ect for barely any overhead. Labels are no longer investing real money when you can easily surpass the sales of an artist they've groomed with a vid that goes viral overnight.

Back