what do you think is wrong music these days?

prodeucer

I don't remember anyone arguing about what the problem was with music in the 90's because there wasn't. If there was, I've never heard it. This thread is not genre specific as I think music these days does not have the impact of other decades because it lacks message. If you have a genre that has no lyrics such as with some EDM artists, yet it is more popular than a genre that had message, then there is a problem. If a genre is played "live" with no actual instruments being played, it isn't live, another problem. If it requires for you to dance half naked, lip synching, with no actual live instruments played by musicians, another problem. I think these examples confuses people which is why the masses can't make a connection on a personal level. Seems as if people go to these EDM festivals to meet people (for hookups, etc.) but they probably do not even own a CD by any of the artists playing at these shows. They may have the mp3s and such. I could speak only of the 90's as I grew up in the 90's and discovered what came before it. Early 90's hip hop had message and so did the grunge movement as well as alternative rock. That was a different time when people bought CDs.

Seems as if music these days has a tabloid fodder message, especially in hip hop and other popular genre of the day. Everything is scandalous and without showing ass, do these people even have the songs? They have the beats and melody but not the songs. It could work in a club setting but as far as having message and making an impact, I can't find it. Good for the artists still selling records and shows though, their labels and people involved couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I don't remember anyone arguing about what the problem was with music in the 90's because there wasn't. If there was, I've never heard it. This thread is not genre specific as I think music these days does not have the impact of other decades because it lacks message. If you have a genre that has no lyrics such as with some EDM artists, yet it is more popular than a genre that had message, then there is a problem. If a genre is played "live" with no actual instruments being played, it isn't live, another problem. If it requires for you to dance half naked, lip synching, with no actual live instruments played by musicians, another problem. I think these examples confuses people which is why the masses can't make a connection on a personal level. Seems as if people go to these EDM festivals to meet people (for hookups, etc.) but they probably do not even own a CD by any of the artists playing at these shows. They may have the mp3s and such. I could speak only of the 90's as I grew up in the 90's and discovered what came before it. Early 90's hip hop had message and so did the grunge movement as well as alternative rock. That was a different time when people bought CDs.

Seems as if music these days has a tabloid fodder message, especially in hip hop and other popular genre of the day. Everything is scandalous and without showing ass, do these people even have the songs? They have the beats and melody but not the songs. It could work in a club setting but as far as having message and making an impact, I can't find it. Good for the artists still selling records and shows though, their labels and people involved couldn't be happier.

I disagree with your assessment.

Music is more exciting now! The EDM concerts are similar to Woodstock and other celebrations of open love and drug use in the past. The only difference is that electronic music is being played instead of rock music.

Young people need the experiences associated with the music, as opposed to just sitting at home listening to a CD. People can listen to music on a computer or telephone without even buying the music. So being confined to listening at home or buying a bunch of CDs is not necessary.

I find the fact that complaints about the lack of depth and meaning in music are a result of people not caring about those things. There is a reason that popular music appeals to people that like scandal, drama, controversy, and gossip. Those things are actually what many people enjoy. They do not take a great deal of thought or feeling to enjoy. People can just casually listen and have fun with the music while going on with their lives.

People are having fun and enjoying new music.

If a genre is played "live" with no actual instruments being played, it isn't live, another problem.
The good old statement of "there's a lot of technicians here making noise, but no one is a musician. They're not artists because nobody can play the guitar" huh?

Do you make music using your computer? Based on this statement of yours, I don't think so. And, if I'm right, I invite you to sit down, open any DAW and make music. GOOD music.

Also, I disagree with your statement about the 90's. I know you said "no specific genre", but in the 90's we had the unveil and growth of grunge, specially with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Those two bands alone made the 90's the worst for many rock/metal bands out there. Just to exemplify here, in the 90's Metallica released the Black Album (reaching the mainstream) and Load & Reload (the most criticized albums). Guns and Roses were gone with bad releases as well. Punk was more than dead in the 90's.

The problem with music today? NONE. You don't like electronic music, and this was made very clear to us. But the world isn't made only of electronic music fans.

Ddream, the rock/metal that came before grunge was just starting to get STALE which is why GRUNGE took over. No matter how you twist it, hair metal was prime in the mid-80's. The early 90's saw power ballads which isn't really as "rock" as it should be (it's "hard" Air Supply, aimed to get women to like the genre). No genre lasts forever. I think dubstep is already on its way out as quick as it came in. Also, you say punk was dead in the 90's? You forgot who Green Day was? The mid 90's was the rebirth of punk! Don't forget Rancid, The Offspring, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, etc. were all punk rock in the 90s that had major radio and TV rotation and some went gold and platinum! Which was why The Sex Pistols reunited for another "farewell tour"!

Maybe I haven't fully opened up to newer acts or what's been going on right now. I haven't bought any new releases in the past few years. Maybe I'm not a teenager anymore which is why I'm not as crazy about music as I was in the 90's. I don't know who's who or what's what. Then again, have you seen the garbage that is the Grammy's? I haven't. I only skimmed through the news and some youtubes.

Also, why are some really ugly people like Pharrell or Lady Gaga or Kanye West even considered celebrities?

Desire, I like your input and thanks for opening up my eyes as to what is really going on. Maybe I haven't adapted with the times as I should have considering the industry changes rapidly and what has been is a has been. Always adapt or miss out right? I think the industry moves as fast as the stock market, it either picks up or it doesn't, you either get on with the times or you don't. Anyway, as I edited this, I just bought a used ZEDD "Clarity" CD on Amazon (it'll come to me sometime this week), even that came out in 2012! Hard to believe the major labels such as Interscope has grabbed on to this. I think ZEDD came out of the rock scene with the band Dioramic. Skrillex was a rock guy as well with the band From First to Last. I guess when the ship starts sinking with the emo/screamo genre those 2 bands came out of, these 2 smart young men jumped on to the EDM scene and it works! I guess same can be said with Alanis Morrissette when she was pop, then adapted to the alternative/post grunge trend, and it worked! Now look at them, $$$!!!

Last edited:
If you look you will find music that fits into your wave length.
You will manifest what is most you.
It is true the World is or was more negativ inclIned so a lot of music or a lot of the message in music was negativ. But things are changing. You just have to have your eyes open.

the problem is you are trying to find 90s music when its 2015...you are old and crusty..thats what every older person always says..music nowadays is terrible blah blah blah

Music is the best it's ever been. The mainstream is mostly crap (with a LOT of good stuff but percentage wise mostly crap) but the mainstream is the least powerful it's been in history.

We have available to us the entire history of dopeness easy to access (well some stuff you need to dig up at a record store or whatever,) and dope new stuff coming out all the time.

And the grunge movement having a message? What was that? "Be emotional like a 12 year old girl, shoot heroin, wear awful clothes, lack any semblence of self-esteem or confidence?"

Ego you're clearly a Minaj fan, but anyway, all the money is in the mainstream not some pay to play indie. Yes it's mostly crap but it sells. From what I understand outside of the familiar 2Pac "hits", all his songs were obvious fillers. What's the message in music today? "Booty"? You never got grunge because you never listened to it, it had a message. It was dark. Not everything is "booty" like today. Today the videos make the stars, if it has no "booty" it's not a hit. Grunge videos never had "booty". The selling point of 90's hip hop was their short-film like music videos, the shit they talk about is funny, etc.

The Grunge style of clothing was THE 90's! I like hip hop but why do these people have to dress like 13 year old boys? The Pharrell videos are awkward (i.e. his clothing does not fit his videos or his music!).

From what I understand Pharrell, Gaga, Kanye, all originated as producers which was why they never had the look. I guess they couldn't find talent so they became the artists (and producer).

Last edited:
EDM songs has a positive vibe, the festivals doesn't with all the drug use and deaths. For the most part those are druggies to begin with just enjoying the latest party/trend in music which is EDM. Some people don't even know who the artists "playing" or "spinning" discs, but they paid for the ticket to meet potential ****mates.

If you look you will find music that fits into your wave length.
You will manifest what is most you.
It is true the World is or was more negativ inclIned so a lot of music or a lot of the message in music was negativ. But things are changing. You just have to have your eyes open.

so the future of music is when an artist plays a "live" show, it really means the artist is spinning pre-recorded music on a disk so everyone can hear it?

the problem is you are trying to find 90s music when its 2015...you are old and crusty..thats what every older person always says..music nowadays is terrible blah blah blah

Music today is as good or bad as it ever was. It doesn't make as much money, maybe.

Don't try and deny that cheesy pop existed in the 90s. Steps, S-club, madonna, the spice girls etc were all much much more popular than anything else at the time.

Also, don't go down the road of assuming music that's difficult to play or make is better. No-one actually likes virtuosos, otherwise you would have heard of victor wooten.

Last edited:
Punk was more than dead in the 90's.

Hmm.. i hadn't noticed that. Around here punk and hardcore were huge in the 90's. Mostly local bands, but a lively scene.
90's was also when skate punk broke it big (the offspring, greenday) and you had all the bands like pennywise, bad religion, nofx etc..

Music in the 90's was just as terrible as it is today. 1746... that was my shit right there.

I only read the title, so here's my answer to it.

I'm too old and can't keep up with new music because i'm still stuck on the 90's... ..that's the answer.

Just kidding. New music sounds sh!t to me. That's why i'm not listening to it. I'm not hating it, i just don't like it.

Whats wrong is that nowadays music is approached by most, fans and artists, as business, and thats it.
"Artists" do not necessarily have to have any creative merit, and the fans do not necessarily demand it.
Tbvh, a lot of the posts on FP are painful evidence of it...

Hmm.. i hadn't noticed that. Around here punk and hardcore were huge in the 90's. Mostly local bands, but a lively scene.
90's was also when skate punk broke it big (the offspring, greenday) and you had all the bands like pennywise, bad religion, nofx etc..

Music in the 90's was just as terrible as it is today. 1746... that was my shit right there.

Ya punk was big around here too. I went to a show in Boston (Toxic Narcotic) in 2004 where a riot broke out. I haven't heard any good rock music, regardless of genre (punk, rock, metal) in years and years though.

Ya punk was big around here too. I went to a show in Boston (Toxic Narcotic) in 2004 where a riot broke out. I haven't heard any good rock music, regardless of genre (punk, rock, metal) in years and years though.

There are still good bands though.. just not a whole of progression musically. It's supposed to be like that with punk and metal anyway. The new bands are for the new kids.

so the future of music is when an artist plays a "live" show, it really means the artist is spinning pre-recorded music on a disk so everyone can hear it?

Michael Jackson lip synced. Whitney Houston's famous national anthem was lip synced. Ain't nothing changed.

A lot of really good industrial, electro industrial, techno/jungle/drumNbass came out of the nineties. There were also a lot of good remixes done of pop acts. And there were interesting bands like Deee-Lite, mixing it up. The old school technology was in the honeymoon phase with the new technology. The kinks of digital audio were getting ironed out. Some of the best synthesizers were manufactured back then. Computers and cell phones hadn't taken everything over. It was a good time.

Music doesn't need to have a message to be deep. It's childish to think that all music has to have lyrics. That's like saying all books need to be published in English. But the world knows that English sure as heck isn't the only language.

Major label garbage is still flooding the routes with stankfunk stinkiness and still making money off of it because it's all formulas right down to the dollar amounts. But in the 90s. not all the mainstream garbage was polluting the good new music of other genres.

The problem with music these days is that a lot of it is way too formulaic down to the point where people are even copying the production errors thinking that it's part of the vibe.

There's still good music around, but you need to hunt for it and raise your standards. Those who don't hunt and raise their standards settle for the garbage can tunes. And yet again, mainstream garbage music is fueled by hollywood images. Even Billboard magazine sold out. The mostly have photoshoots of celebrities posing and trying to look nice for the camera. It's pretty childish because there's a lot more to the entire industry than hand-picked models who are song-casted into the hollywood spotlight.

The technology also killed music with the lo-fi sound and the phasing out of hi-fi home audio systems just to get some earbuds on a built-in obsolescence iPod.

From a R&B perspective, my top three items are stated below, but the list is much longer:

1) Lack of musicianship.
2) Lack of soulfulness.
3) Lack of singers who can truly sing.

There is still some good R&B music being produced, but not in mainstream circles.

Back