Weed and making beats?

I think a lot of people use weed as a crutch to be honest. I always hear, "man i gotta smoke to make music." You should be just as creative sober. I smoke a lot but i tend to make music sober

Same with me, good ideas but incapable of sitting at a computer and manifesting them.

Why are you preaching though. Sitting back and smoking jays doesn't hurt nobody.

Marijuana is an illegal drug. If you use it, you are a criminal. Please stop using drugs, because they are harmful and toxic. Also, proceeds from drugs promote violence and terrorism. Please think about your actions.

I smoked DAILY for years.. def helped my creativity..
But after awhile you start to get dependent on it.. (whether you notice or not)
You'll Get to a point where you can't/or dont want to make anything w/o being high.
Smoking in moderation is cool.. but every day, I wouldn't... Everything in life is about balance.. find yours
Im at a point now, where im trying to gain my creativity through mediation.. you don't need any drug to help, if you fully understand the life experience your living..

Last edited by a moderator:
^ i know mo*****s that straight up REFUSE to lay down bars without weed, weak as hell IMO. i love lifting weights and making beats or other excercise, but lifting weights is the best.

It depends on the person, I personally love it. Everything just feels.. better.

But sometimes the lazyness takes over and cannot finish what I started.

I've been smoking a lot more recently, and I've come to realise that its amazing for coming up with ideas. Like the main little hook or something, just like the thing that gives the track its major personality. I should really stop there, because the production quality when I'm high is embarrassing when I look back at it. The synths are stupid and pretty weak sounding, and there's way too much bass. Like, wayyy too much bass lol.

I think the best thing to do is smoke to get inspiration, but after you've put down a few funny ideas go and do something else, leave the production til tomorrow. It's not like you'll run out of fun things to do when you're high haha

For me, when I'm lit(weed n liquor in heavy doses), I'm good in a "studio setting"(making beats on the spot for artists while they're writing. But let's record another day, because if I'm lit, you're lit, and I lose patience quick when you can't get work done because you're stumbling over words or joking too much. When lit by myself, I can't concentrate enough to make a beat or mix a record, but it's great for listening to stuff already done or looking for samples.

When i'm just high, I can't do much of shyt. I move slower, take forever to do something simple, but best time to listen to and analyze music or look for samples. Even when my high comes down I'm not gonna be productive and make a beat. I NEVER just get high while recording(smoke with a few drinks, and I'm good). I will take forever mixing and still have to adjust everything the next day, lol.

Drunk, slightly buzzed or sober(same to me) is when I actually get the most work done on my own. Prefer being completely sober while recording others(unless they drink and smoke, then I'm in with them). When mixing projects sent to me, i may have 1 or 2 beers, but stay clear headed.

Again, though, it's great to be high and/or drunk while playing back music. Gives you an idea of how consumers will enjoy your music while in party settings. It's a must to research these things if you make music for a party setting. If I did trance and didn't have kids(a reason for living), I'd pop an ecs from time to time to make sure my sound flowed right, lol.

Everybody is different. I know some guy who quit smoking weed because he felt like it was holding him back from making beats, while another guy smokes it so he can be more creative.

For me, a little bit of bud and a cup of coffee or two helps get the creative juices goin. But I always go back and make sure it still sounds decent after it wears off :P

its personal shit bruh. better not to smoke because if you gotta get high to make a beat then that must smoke when you run out of your stash and money, well both stashes in this case lol

my lyrics are better when blunted but making beats gets hard. so i don't smoke herb and make beats. i'll get dusted and **** with beats any day though.

Last edited:
Its kinda double sided, like, Ive had some great musical ideas when high, but I cannot, for the life of me actually sit down and finish a quality track then, I just kinda sit there listening to a half done track again and again, thinking its the greatest thing ever

This is really how I feel, I find and create good melodies but I have to come back to them later. It helps but I don't always prefer it. Some people get high everytime, I'm an occasional guy

Back