Weed and making beats?

Dude, thats what happens to me if I go one too many. I ll just sit there listening to my 8 bars that I made 2 hours ago thinking this is what the world needs.

the real test is next day , when I am more or less sober and go through my stuff, if its still sounds nice I keep it and work more if not...discard

pretty much this...but smoking always gets me generating some kind of melody or drum loop

At the moment I have to focus really hard when trying to make something, like I have to sit and think about the chords and the chord progression I am gonna use so I don't think it would help, not sure if I could just bum it and feel it, like someone else said earlier I'd probably make an 8 bar loop thinking it's the best thing out and then the next day I listen and it's garbage.

It could help writing the melody though.

pretty much this...but smoking always gets me generating some kind of melody or drum loop

you might not bang out a full beat/song but you sure will bang tons of ideas/skeletons. then comeback the next day and see whats what. That way you always have some to work on.

I use it as a tool/ RL plugin ..haha. I dont like mixing faded though. IMO its not somethinbg you should rely on toget that "feel/skill/sound"if you cant do it with out it you cant do it at all.

It's good for coming up with interesting ideas if you're in the right situation. I know it sounds weird, but you know how for sober producing its good to have a routine/setup? If I've smoked then I've got to go for a walk, drink a pint of full-fat milk, buy a 7-pack of crunchie bars (don't know if they're known globally, but in the UK they're these chocolate bars with a crunchy honeycomb centre. Seriously good lol) and lay in bed with my laptop, and all lights turned out haha. Then I spend like 2 hours watching stupid stuff on YouTube, smoke another and get to work.

When I listen to it the next day it's usually silly/really interesting (silly is a good thing in my eyes lol), but the production is terrible.

So I think its great to play with ideas when high, but you should polish and perfect it when you're not too busy thinking about who'd win in a fight between Rick Astley and Nyan Cat.

Last edited:
"i dont do drugs just weed"

smoking weed and making beats hase different variables. if you smoke too much its gonna suck because of paranoia, stuff like that. smoking is just like anything else. theres a right time and a wrong time for that.

i personally smoke every time i create. and many times when im not

(im not endorsing use)

Last edited:
Its kinda double sided, like, Ive had some great musical ideas when high, but I cannot, for the life of me actually sit down and finish a quality track then, I just kinda sit there listening to a half done track again and again, thinking its the greatest thing ever

HAhaha dude so true.

I find it clears my mind & gives be a blank canvas so I can be real creative.

I made this track on weed:

&

Made this track one drunk night after clubbing LOL:

hahah I want to try it on shrooms.

Used to smoke up pretty much all the time so didn't have much choice as to whether I was high while producing haha. But pretty much stopped recently as it started ****ing me up, harder to get ideas while i'm sober but in general the tracks I make are of higher quality. In a perfect world I would get the basic idea down while stoned then arrange and add finishing touches while sober but this rarely happens haa. I only can bring myself to master a track when i'm stoned as i find it so tedious. Best way i have found to describe weed is a cure for boredom haha

I enjoy that you have a soild method figured out with it. Kind idea-and I thank you. I shall try that for I agree, I can get going on sounds and general structure while I'm blazed, but have to do the PRODUCTION work is when I need to "sober up" from that 'ish. Or I'll sit there for 2 hours as said, and think I have created a master work just to sober up and find I've only created 8 bars. Um.....;-) Happens to the BEST of us though. ;-)

what this guy said. but if you smoke too much it will mess with your rhythm and shit

I get too lazy and deconcentrated to finish a beat being high. But I like searching for samples on weed.

the one time i really smoke weed when making beats is if i've been at it for hours that day and the beat making process gets mind numbing so i need a head change. it makes me lazy if i'm just getting started but if i've got all my samples chopped up and drums and everything and a bit of a skeleton i can produce high.

yea, i feel like when i smoke, a lot of walls of doubt and uncertainty are knocked down mentally and i instantly feel like making a beat or doin something different when i am making a beat. weed and music in my life is jus a comfortable combination, like pb&j lol

Back