Radical Idea: Instead of the rare person "being" a genius, all of us "have" a genius.

MilDlrDime

Chrap-a-holic
Radical Idea: Instead of the rare person "being" a genius, all of us "have" a genius.

Not necessarily music production, but definitely inspiration.
Take 20 minutes out of your day to watch this TED on Elizabeth Gilbert sharing the radical idea that, instead of the rare person "being" a genius, all of us "have" a genius.

Really interesting watch:
https://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius

Last edited:
I'm not gonna watch that but I see it as genius has a lot to do with self-confidence. Most people think "who am I to do such and such or learn such and such" and because they don't believe in themselves they never try hard enough and because they never try they don't have the positive experiences which fuel the confidence.

Last edited:
People who think they are stupid, are retarded.
Idiots who think they're geniuses, are retarded.

I am not a genius, can be questionable whether or not I'm retarded but there is one thing for sure. You can not taste a color. Unless it's food coloring.

I made an album where the story changes depending on your playlist and choices you've made.

When I finish album two (already started working on it) and release it it's going to look at your playlist from the first album and tailor it to what it sees. So you and your friend have the potential to have two different story lines.

Is it stupid? Retarded? Genius? Brave? Innovative? The only thing I can say is I'm in the history books for being the first to do such a thing. Everything else is subjective and can't be quantified. But how do I see me? Forward thinking.

Last edited:
I made an album where the story changes depending on your playlist and choices you've made.

When I finish album two (already started working on it) and release it it's going to look at your playlist from the first album and tailor it to what it sees. So you and your friend have the potential to have two different story lines.

Is it stupid? Retarded? Genius? Brave? Innovative? The only thing I can say is I'm in the history books for being the first to do such a thing. Everything else is subjective and can't be quantified. But how do I see me? Forward thinking.

Read up on what reality is: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation

Ya.
"We are all special little snowflakes."

No.
Most of us are morons. Just.. get over it.
Stop thinking that being a genius is such a great thing.

genius is at the opposite end of the intellectual spectrum of moron (to use the older terminology). Statistically speaking members of either group are rare, as they are at the extremes of measured intelligence.

The thrust of the Gilbert presentation is probably along the lines of how we cause our genius to recede in the face of social conformity, which is patently untrue. Even those who underachieve do so with everyone around them knowing (for the most part) they aren't trying to succeed.

There is also a difference between inspiration which anyone can have and insight into a problem at the intuitive level, which comes but to a very few gifted individuals

There is a story well documented by many of his students where Richard Feynman points to the chalk board and says and "it is obvious how we get from here -taps the board - to here - taps the board again" none of his students saw how obvious it was nor did several of his colleagues who were along as it was one of a series of specia lectures - i.e. what a genius sees as obvious and what the ordinary person perceives as obvious do not fly in the same circles.

I know of another prominent figure (basketballer) who asked a group of kindergarteners who here thinks they are a genius and almost all the hands went up. He then asked grade 6 students in the same school district who thought they were a genius and less than 5% put their hands up. He also surmised from this admittedly flawed polling (that's another story entirely), that kids stop thinking they are geniuses because society makes them feel that they can't be - he blamed the schooling system for changing the outcomes for these kids.

I would suggest that the real reason fewer and fewer people identify as geniuses as they get older is that they come to realising their own shortcomings. At 5 we all think we can do anything we put our minds to simply because we haven't yet come to recognise failure or our limitations. As we grow older we come to recognise that some kids play football better than we do, some kids can do mathematics better than we do and some kids pick up new languages better than we do. In some very few cases there is one kid who is all three. We also recognise what we are better at doing too and make reasoned comparisons that allow us to say whether we think someone is a genius or not

This is bullshit.
Firstly, there's no concrete definition of a genius.
Not everyone is good at something. People exist who are good at everything and crap at everything, that's just the way the world works. Then you have to try and work out the difference between inherent talent and hard work.

There are a lot of different skills out there, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be born bad at everything, but some people exist like that. Doesn't mean they're bad people just cause they're bad at things, or that they can't contribute to society.

Bottom line is, don't go around thinking you're a genius if you're not. Or even if you are, cause then you sound arrogant. If you want to be better at something, practice, regardless of how much you think you are or aren't built for it. Accept that some people are talented and some aren't and don't judge them on their skills unless you're planning on hiring them.

Last edited:
Back