New Thundercat Album

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
ha, I saw an advertisement on here for the new Thundercat album. That's funny, does anybody listen to him (from FlyLo's label brainfeeder)? He recently won a grammy.

Yeah, I love his compositions but I haven't listened to the latest album yet. It's actually on my running list of music I listen to for my work commute so I'm sure it's coming up soon on Spotify for me. Did he play bass on a lot of FlyLo tracks? I remember the last album had some super crazy live band sounding stuff on it

Im not sure, I'm sure he does on a a few. I got his old apocalypse album from Amoeba music though haha it's pretty good, it's like musical you know. Like something my uncle would make. I would think he helps flylo with some basslines though, ya lol

Last edited:
I saw ads for that new album and was just checking some of it out, actually. I'm not familiar with him or his work, but the hip-hop I like tends to be the jazzy, hippy-dippy, r&b-influenced, vocally intense production stuff, so I should like him. Right now the jury is still out though; the handful of songs I listened to leave me a little uneasy.

Does he always use fretless bass with a chorus, along Rhodes with chorus and/or flanger, plus detuned chorus on the stacked reverb-soaked vocals? Man, that plus the minipops drum machine sound seems a bit much-- I feel like I'm underwater after eating a qualude sandwich.
I don't like involuntarily eating qualude sandwiches and being forced underwater.

I did finally put two and two together and discovered that Kendrick Lamar sounds a lot like K'Naan, however...

Last edited:
i hevnt heard the album yet, but he has some good tunes. lol but ya people say its "liquid bass", so it sounds underwater. As for qualude sandwhich, lol that's there too, but they're catchy I'm sure. The song I'll link talks about ecstasy so...uh, when knows.

Um, depends what kind of music you like but he has some cool tunes. These are two of my favorite.

Oh Sheit It's X: https://soundcloud.com/brainfeeder/thundercat-oh-sheit-its-x

and this: https://soundcloud.com/brainfeeder/thundercat-heartbreaks

And the song he wrote for Austin Peralta after he died is really beautiful, I'm not a sap for emotional songs, but that shit made me cry...for Austin, though. (RIP) You can really hear the emotion for his buddy pianist.

That's sweet you went to NAMM, and meet him there! I knew a guy that worked for NAMM a while ago, but I've never been.

Love his new album. One of my favorite releases of 2017 so far. I would also suggest listening to his EP "The Beyond / Where The Giants Roam"

I saw ads for that new album and was just checking some of it out, actually. I'm not familiar with him or his work, but the hip-hop I like tends to be the jazzy, hippy-dippy, r&b-influenced, vocally intense production stuff, so I should like him. Right now the jury is still out though; the handful of songs I listened to leave me a little uneasy.

Does he always use fretless bass with a chorus, along Rhodes with chorus and/or flanger, plus detuned chorus on the stacked reverb-soaked vocals? Man, that plus the minipops drum machine sound seems a bit much-- I feel like I'm underwater after eating a qualude sandwich.
I don't like involuntarily eating qualude sandwiches and being forced underwater.

I did finally put two and two together and discovered that Kendrick Lamar sounds a lot like K'Naan, however...

Haha..
I do, but when I do I can think of some better beats to do it to..
I just can never get into any of Brainfeeder's stuff.. it's always like it's trying too hard to with the quirky shit.
I don't mean "oh, it's too weird".. I like some really weird music. With them it's always too intentional, too self-aware,
too "look mommy, I make crazy music" that it leaves me completely cold.

ha, brainfeeder is fading away though. Flylo is too busy with Warp now and nobody's really keeping it as active it was.

Back