I hear sound differently no

lowlism

I've been producing music for about 5 years now and lately I have noticed that I hear sounds differently. Like, it used to take me to listen to a song many times before noticing any details in there but now I can listen to a new song I never listen to before and I'll notice every element in that song by listening to it once or twice. Not just music though but any sound in general, like for example the sound of an engine. I couldn't hear the "lowest" sound of an engine before but now I do start to notice that engine makes multiple sounds instead of just one (if that makes sense to you)

Strange thing also happens to me tho. It's getting harder for me to listen to a conversation on TV and I need to turn up the volume so I can hear it clearly. But not music, I can listen to music at any volume just fine but when it comes to conversation on TV or YouTube videos, it's really hard for me.

Loud noises bother me more than ever before. Loud noises have always sounded annoying to me but lately it really irritates me so much that I can get really angry about it.

And sometimes I do ask people to repeat themselves when talking to me but that's mainly because I'm not paying attention to what they're saying, not because I can not hear what they're saying. My mind likes to wander beyond my control at certain times

This is the part where it gets scary, I start to notice little sound, a sound so little that nobody else around me seems to notice it. They'll only start to notice it after I tell them about it. It makes me think I'm going crazy sometimes.

Now, before you tell me I should go to the ENT or audiologist to see if I have something wrong with my ear, let me tell you I am going to. I just want to ask if anybody here is going through the same thing as I am and maybe get some opinions or explanations from you guys.

Do I really have something wrong with my ear or have I refined my listening skill to a certain degree?

When u make music u place your focus on the little things and ignoring the big picture and that translates in you life as u ignore all the main stuff and focus on all the details so u gotta "turn up the tv" so it can distract you fron hearing all the little things around you.. What u need to do is practice your focus a bit so u can decide what u want to listen to not what your habit wants you to hear. At least ull be able to hear a problem with your car much sooner :)

Although rare, what you are experiencing has some precedence and the end result is equally terrifying and transcending. You are slowly evolving into a self conscious microphone.

And sometimes I do ask people to repeat themselves when talking to me but that's mainly because I'm not paying attention to what they're saying, not because I can not hear what they're saying. My mind likes to wander beyond my control at certain times

I know what you mean. If I'm in conversation with someone or working on something non music related, my mind wonders towards different sounds that's on TV or a song that's playing.
5 years ago when I was in my high school English class, I remember we were suppose to be listening to the lyrics of a song and describe something about them (I forgot lol).
My turn was up next and it was the hook. Once that hook started playing my mind completely threw out the assignment and I started picking apart the song 'cause I never heard it before and I liked it. I didn't realize this until my teacher stopped the music and asked me the question and I admitted I got lost in the music lol.

I'm 9 to 10 years in producing and it's gotten worse over the years unfortunately, especially once I started engineering more,
but I'm more aware of it now.

Ironically it sounds like you are at the same point I was at around my 5th year producing. I agree with 6major, work on focus and be careful with burning out. It might be different for you but now its harder for me to enjoy music like I use to. Nothing's wrong with listening for little details but at this point for me consuming music doesn't feel the same as it did years ago (not in a good way).

Its like your mind and ears are stuck on producer analyzing mode to the point that sounds and music become a HUGE distraction.

Back