Going Deaf

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
Yo, this is a serious dilemma. Is it safe to blast loud music into your ear for 10+ hours every day? I think I'm losing my hearing. All I'm starting to hear is this loud ass ringing noise. Do I have to start "feeling" music (kind of like the force, which I'm totally cool with)?? I'd much rather just keep my hearing...

Anyway, until next time.

Last edited:
Get a decibel meter and check your mix room/control room/listening environment. You shouldn't be "blasting" tunes beyond 85-90 dB; that (or less!) is the safest listening range for repeated exposure. Use ear plugs at concerts and in clubs (I've been using these recently instead of the foam inserts: Shop Ear Plugs for Concerts, Clubs, & More | DUBS). Turn down the volume on your "Beats" (tm) or headphones of choice; turn down the volume in the car.

If you're going to commit to music as a life-long thing, and not some flash-in-the-pan "I used to do that" deal, you need to protect your most important assets (your ears).

GJ

Not being rude, but is this a serious question?

You could have the greatest studio/talent in the world but if you can't hear it, you're not gonna be able to do much. Unless you're Beethoven.

Yeah, no, that's really bad. I always keep music so i can only just hear everything that is going on, maybe a little louder then crank it up a bit at random times.

I have tinnitus, which doctors tell me is not actually due to hearing loss, it is really really annoying.

Tinnitus isn't nice. I have mild stages of it. The loud ringing you get after being to a club that usually goes away after a few days... not for me. luckily I can ignore it quite some but if I think about it it gets real loud.

Mix low and turn it up every now and then. Remember to turn it back down again.

I know some people who could blast full volume beats headphones into their head for hours.
Masochists. But there are two options for you. hearing aid or ear surgery to implant more of those hair membrane things.

Blasting music over 90 is not ideal in any situation.

>>>>ear surgery to implant more of those hair membrane things.<<<<

AFAIK, there is no operation that can replace cilia in the cochlea. Ear operations to restore hearing have to do with tiny fabricated replacements for missing or malformed bones like the "stirrup, hammer, and anvil." When those cilia lay down flat from being blasted with too much SPL, they don't come back up again, and that's it. Hearing loss, tinnitus, or both would be the prognosis.

Just turn the volume down, guys...

GJ

Yo, this is a serious dilemma. Is it safe to blast loud music into your ear for 10+ hours every day? I think I'm losing my hearing. All I'm starting to hear is this loud ass ringing noise. Do I have to start "feeling" music (kind of like the force, which I'm totally cool with)?? I'd much rather just keep my hearing...

Anyway, until next time.

I'd say turn down the volume a little. I had the same problem when I made beats with headphones and had the volume on max.

the only time i ever use headphones is whem im listening to music at night and i never blast them, one thing i do to make sure theyre never too loud is to take them off and reduce the volume until i cant hear the music clearly.

Back