Dose anyone else feel like they're losing their passion for music?

MiguelTym

I just feel like I've been doing this for almost 2 years and I'm still not good enough to match up with anyone else. And I want to go back to feeling like I want to keep working. Dose anyone have advice?

Nope, although learning is agitating when it comes to music theory. Although I have the patience to learn alittle more about sheet music instead of going beyond beginner level piano.

I do not have the patience for maudio 88es beyond simple scales and chords tbh.
I wonder how musicians can do all of that without a mouse, not so much drummers but those who can literally use a piano beyond easy level.

Maybe music isn't for you. That's pretty normal. Hell I have been doing it for 12 years and 13 next month. Some on FP a lot longer. You must learn that it takes time to understand what you are doing. Being good enough is only what you expect from yourself. When you compare to stuff on the radio know that lots of people are not as good as you think they are by them going through a multitude of others to get you that end product you hear. Specific people who are good at specific things and some who can wear more than one hats. You also need to truly enjoy what you do. Compare your progress now to the stuff you've made in your first month and ask yourself did you ever think you would get as good as you are now. How do you think your stuff will sound on its 4th year in?

I started in my early teens which is kind of a norm now. I can say it was easier then without much responsibilities. It can get tougher as you grow if you are younger...but don't rush yourself and think that a couple months everything will just be how you want it to sound.

I think you should just keep writing. Sometimes the passion comes and goes, and if you are doing it to "get" something eventually you're going to see a road block. I feel like you should do it just purely for the passion because you will never know when you'll actually be good or start getting paid for it. Dont worry, this is just a test, every artist experiences this at a certain point. Just keep grinding. Also 2 years is super short, seriously haha. Do it for the soul not the money. Peacee

Can't really say the passion has gone anywhere.. But many times the patience sure has. That's the kind of trap you put yourself in when you just sit and try to become better without any real achievable, measurable goals you can actually look back to and say "hey, I accomplished something!"

But you know.. If you dont feel like it, you don't feel like it. Go do something else for a while, the beauty of life is that it's not black and white. You can just take a vacation from it and return to it when/if you ever feel like it again.

There's a difference between passion and love. Passion is something that is intense from it's start but fade aways quickly. Love is something not as intense, but can last for life.
If you have a "passion" about making music, it may fade away and you will find yourself quitting.
If you have a "love" about making music, you'll find yourself always wanting to do more and more, no matter haw inspired you are.

so, you must ask only to YOURSELF: is it passion or love?

I just feel like I've been doing this for almost 2 years and I'm still not good enough to match up with anyone else. And I want to go back to feeling like I want to keep working. Dose anyone have advice?

Really? I checked out your SoundCloud. I like your creativity, sound selection and drums too.

Keep your head up man. You are only 2 years deep. With that said, if you are unhappy with your beats, focus on your biggest weakness (in your mind) and turn it into a strength. This could be drum programming, sound design, sequencing, mixing, etc. If you dedicate some time you will have light bulb moments where you become 50% better overnight. Just know you will never come to a point where you are truly satisfied. Right now Dr. Dre is trying to make a beat better than his last one (Unless he is busy counting his money, but you get the idea). And please realize that you are always going to find someone better than you. So, just enjoy the process of becoming better. Hope this helps.

Youre only as good as your passion and desire. If you really want to be one of the best or at least great to a desired level, you will find ways to improve, just dont get discouraged and keep learning.
I followed u, follow back

Miguel, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been doing music for 15 years and production/recording for about 7. There have been numerous times where I've 'quit' in disappointment, frustration or lack of motivation/passion. I'd get put off by seeing how much effort I put into a song for it to only be mediocre (I've worked on tracks for 6 months for it to only turn out complete garbage). It can be pretty disheartening. You've only been doing it for 2 years and by listening to your soundcloud I think you're doing REALLY well. I guess it's like the more you learn, the more you learn how much you don't know (if that makes sense). Which, for me keeps the passion alive. All I can probably say is, keep making music, it takes time.

I feel that comparing yourself to that of other artists is good with balance. By doing so, you can gain a perspective of the strengths and weaknesses that you currently possess. This will then allow you to utilize your current strengths, while focusing more attention on those aspects of the creative process that you may view as weak. But I’d be wary of too much comparison as it may lead to nonproductive thought processes, such as thinking you do not compare in quality to that of other artists. I say this because I’ve been there myself. If music is a true passion, you’ll come to the conclusion that regardless of where you are on your musical journey, life without music would be empty. That you’re not doing music to impress anyone other then yourself. I believe that such sheer confidence will then shine through and inspire those around you.

Last edited:
I personally think new life experiences in general motivate me to create music and further my knowledge of it more than anything

Is it that you're not working on new projects or not making money from your music?
Have you made goals in the past that you have not achieved yet? Or is music just a hobby for you?

Im trying to figure out what you mean when you said you feel as though you're not matching up with other people.

I have had no inspiration for about 1 year, coudn't finish a single track, but then, it suddenly came back.

Keep going, you can only get better and it takes about 10 years of practice (at anything) to become a master. So never stop, the passion will come back.

if you really LOVE that you will every time have that passion of making your style beats...and thats it

sometimes i get bored with making music and usually take a break, if that doesnt sort it then i try change the genre i produce and wonder if im just getting bored with it. if so then i branch out and try something else which i wanted to learn (genre or workflow). things like working long hours can affect mood or creativity but repetition is one way to fall into a set way of producing and eventually getting fed up of it.

When I first clicked u thought this would be more about breaking into the industry...

I realized since I started that the world is immense with infinite possibility. But as well everything takes time, lots of it. I started up in 2005 and I'm just now reaching a point of being able to put consistent work out, being comfortable with sampling, mixing etc.

Life happens too... 2 years is literally nothing, it's like a day in cosmic time lol... you have to really dive in... for me it*helps that*i know people into hip hop, but I get discouraged alot myself and have taken plenty breaks from the craft.

Just as well, with time I'm finally discovering the discipline needed to actually have a following and solid product in this...

Longterm stress or anxiety can affect the will of not just making music, but anything that demands some kind of active thinking.
Just lean back and give things the time it needs, why sit there and think that you must decide wether you want to make music or not? Just keep on going with your daily life and see where it leads you, maybe you get the energy for it again, maybe not.

Back