55 yrs in prison for weed? wow...

TeddyB2011

@TeddyBDaPrime
Before he got busted, Weldon Angelos was a 25-year-old record producer who appeared to be on the road to stardom. Founder of the Utah-based rap label Extravagant Records, Angelos had collaborated with big names like Snoop Dogg. He had a strong future ahead of him, but now he will rot in jail until he is 80 years old, because three marijuana sales to undercover cops, worth a total of $350, got him a 55-year sentence with no chance of parole.
As Judge Paul G. Cassell pointed out, Angelos got more time than he would have for hijacking an airplane (25 years), beating someone to death in a fight (13 years), or raping a 10-year-old child (11 years). Making matters worse, the father of two didn’t even have a criminal record: he was a first time-offender.
Mandatory minimums for drug felonies involving a gun, however, stacked up to make Angelos’ weed bust a near life sentence. Angelos never used or brandished his two weapons, but because the police said they saw them -- in his center console and strapped to his ankle -- he received one five-year and two consecutive 25-year sentences.
Judge Cassell was outraged at Angelos’ mandatory sentence, calling it "unjust, cruel, and even irrational.” He urged President Bush to commute Angelos’ sentence to 18 years or less, and 29 former judges and prosecutors filed a "friend-of-the-court" brief imploring Angelos’ sentencing judge to declare the sentence unconstitutional. Unfortunately, none of those efforts were successful.

More
Clearly this is one sided but 55 yrs?! C'mon son.. thats pretty much a lifetime now-a-days and note that the guy is already 25. Dude's not getting out til he's 80
I have a question FP. How do you feel on the weed subject?
Check out the link. There are even more stories that im questionable about.

Last edited:
That is an upsetting true story. I think that there should be a a resolution to these types of things. For instance maybe a panel of 10 citizens can be called to a meeting to vote on some type over-turning rule. 6 or higher out of 10 in favor of convicted gets convicted sentenced to a sentence as if it was his second offense again.

Like I have said before, marijuana is a controlled substance. If you possess it, you are a criminal and you are breaking the law. Ditch the drugs. They are a trap!

Back