Where is the Rock & Roll?!

I

IanMathews

Anyone??

I drive a lot for work, so I try the radio sometimes. Why does my local rock radio station sound like it's frozen in 1998? Soundgarden. Alice in Chains. Pearl Jam. Nirvana. Cracker?? Collective Soul??

And forget TV. The only guitars I see are in the hands of kids who are basically singing pop melodies over some light rock.

I've found some new(er) rock bands I like, but not many.

Each decade, since Rock got big, has had their quintessential legendary groups. Who are they for this last decade?

Am I missing something?

Trivium
System of a Down
Rise Against

Stuff like that I guess? I only follow indie music, really not interested in anything else these days.

meshuggah
Look to Scandinavian Europe and you will be amazed at how many great guitar bands are to be found there - looks like Yngwe Malmsteen spawned a Scandanavian reanaissance. :)

I tend to think though, that the big movers are in the rockers for jesus camp and so won't get much airplay on conventional radio because their message is to narrow in our secular world.

Meshuggah is for real. I've heard they make/record songs via emails to each other. Crazy to think with all those odd time sigs. Cradle of Filth? At the Gates? Oh yes.

I just feel like every time they said rock is dying, I would scoff at it. But lately, I am starting to agree.

Disturbed is still going strong and have stayed pretty consistent in their offerings throughout their career. I do have to agree with bandcoach's assessment about Scandinavia. The rock/metal scene there seems to be going strong, with plenty of amazing bands. You might like this band, Djerv. Their lead singer, Agnete Kjølsrud, did some vocals on the latest Dimmu Borgir album (which is pretty epic in its own right).

yup all we get in my town is classic rock or 90s alternative, i wish they would play some new bands some new rock/metal or some subgenre of rock! what bands are craxkin these days for yall?

I like Minus The Bear for the guitar work. Cool live show, too. That's an example where I'm thinking, "Why isn't this band on radio.. ever?"

Ppl will say something like "commercial radio is not for you.", which I agree with. But at least pop, country, and rap commercial stations are still getting a steady stream of *new* acts. Even if commercial rock is not for me, I'd still like it to exist.

LOL update: That ONE rock station we had (see above)... however 90's it was.. is gone. Turned into some 35-to-45-year old female target audience garbage. Lots of No Doubt and Stevie Nicks. Generally, just the softest rock available. Ugh... Coinciding with the format change, I read an article that called New York City a "bad market for rock" according to the numbers.... SMH

I think its a combination of people getting tired of older styles of rock. Combined by the fact that musicians that DO love hard metal are playing things that only appeal to the small metal culture.

yeah, i want to hear some modern stereo ass hard rock on the radio. but i never do. :(

Guess we have to wait till a hard rock band comes along that bring millions of people in love with hard rock again

theres not that many good rock bands around at the minute unles you really search for them,rock dosnt seem that popular at the minute(u.k) its more dance over here

I think there are still good bands out there but they are just much harder to find nowadays.

Back