What exactly is EMO???

U

UPPER_CUTT

cOULD someone list a few mainstream bands that could be classified under this subgenre?

Thanks

not sure there are any modern mainstream emo bands...from what i know i think emo is a type of jazz music or jazz influenced

i thought is was more like emotional punk, but I'm not sure? ANYONe know?

emo definately is not jazz,its kinda whiney hardcore.oooh my girlfriend left me etc.,a hundred reasons are quite good tho.

Tristan said:
its mainly defined by vocal style.. kinda melodic, but gritty/shouty at the same time.

I thought that was "screamo"? Emo, to me is just a bunch of whining and an excuse for kids to wear thick glasses.:)

-Geoff

Well... haha I'm a bit "emo" to be honest, tho I dont my jeans from the womens department.. !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Emo meets Electronic.. Check out a duo called The Postal Service.

Further Seems Forever is good emo. Very musical.

Emo is whatever Hot Topic tells you it is. Well......thats what people tell me anyways!:)

\geoff/

I mean.. if you go up to some random 11-teen year old with pig tails and a studded belt, they'll tell you emo is New Found Glory or Good Charlotte and whatever else MTV is feeding them. But there are some very good "emo" bands out there still.

Sparta, for one, is a great emo band, if they really are an emo band. Now I'm really not sure. :confused: And that's all I can think of.

Shovel said:
I heard that emo guys go to the women's dept to buy their jeans.

and in the case of Norwich to buy their shoes too.

Emo seemed to grow out of post -hardcore to me.

Bands at the forefront of the populr emo explosion a year or so back are:

Jimmy Eat World - the main one and poppiest.

aaaargghhh brainfreeze!

a bit harder

Thursday
Taking back Sunday

and if your ever skirting round this kind of music make sure you check out

At the Drive in

and

Glassjaw

both split up not too long ago though:(

OLSatG said:

At the Drive in

and

Glassjaw

both split up not too long ago though:(

at the drive in formed sparta and mars volta,
the mars volta are hella good.
sparta are ok,much more mellow tho.
jimmy eat world along with weezer areb how pop should be.

kenworth said:

at the drive in formed sparta and mars volta,
the mars volta are hella good.
sparta are ok,much more mellow tho.
jimmy eat world along with weezer areb how pop should be.

Neither are a patch on at the drive in IMO.

Yep if only all pop was like that i.e made by mental cases who only hire mental cases!

Gj and at the drive in are in no way "emo". I love both of these groups though. Relationship of Command has been in my cd player for a good 5 days straight now. Cool you mentioned those bands...

Back