What does a rock producers do?

Cell-Iz

I want to be a producer in all genres of music. But I don't know what a rock music producer does. Can anyone tell me what they do?

some of them help during the song creation process like producers in rnb would. others only record the band and then mix/master their recordings.

Pure Hype Production said:
How do you know you want to be a rock producer if you dont know what they do?

not to be snappy or nothin but thats why hes asking man! lol

but yeah if you use FL, make like a simple 8 bar somethin with guitars bass n drums n play with it. that should kinda help you out a bit i guess

There shouldnt be a lot of difference between producers form Rock or Hip Hop.

Rock does however involved with more instruments and more channels than Hip Hop.

I have Linkin Park's 2nd album and it came with The Making of Meteora, a DVD. On the DVD it shows clips of them in the studio making their album. Their producer records them, gives them their sound, directs them on their vocals, makes them trash songs and rewrite them. He does not mix the record however. They got their record mixed by a well known mixer. Producing for rock would be more complex to me because when you produce hip-hop you're mainly dealing with loops and a rapper. With rock you're dealing with live instruments, change ups in the songs (compare a rock song to a hip hop song and notice how many times the rock song changes up or changes its melody oppose to a hip hop song), you're dealing with musicians, etc...

Last edited:
People need to stop limiting art with titles. Some Rock producers do nothing, don't press on button, just tell people to redo their vocals or tell the engineer to pan the hats this way and the lead guit that way.

Others may be the lead singer/guitarist, and songwriter in the band and just step up to go the extra mile.

There's a million other scenarios between the two, same as any other genre.

And yes. Even some Rock is done over 2 tracked "beats" someone "produced" without ever being in the room like a Pop or Hip hop song. It's been done by Jewel, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Pink, AFI, White Stripes, Maroon 5, and I'm willing to make a bet from her sound, Katy Perry.

Last edited:
I was wondering this too, because they sure as hell don't make beats lol.

So basically they direct the song and act as a band leader almost?

Fort Apache said:
I have Linkin Park's 2nd album and it came with The Making of Meteora, a DVD. On the DVD it shows clips of them in the studio making their album. Their producer records them, gives them their sound, directs them on their vocals, makes them trash songs and rewrite them. He does not mix the record however. They got their record mixed by a well known mixer. Producing for rock would be more complex to me because when you produce hip-hop you're mainly dealing with loops and a rapper. With rock you're dealing with live instruments, change ups in the songs (compare a rock song to a hip hop song and notice how many times the rock song changes up or changes its melody oppose to a hip hop song), you're dealing with musicians, etc...

Yeah same here

^^^But what about Rap songs with live instruments? What about Rock songs to a 2 tracked pre-recorded "beat?"

The producer of a song does what's called for to "produce" the song. Nomatter the genre, there's a million ways a song can be "produced". No 100% definitive answer.

i love lange! would love to be produced by him one day! Now to just earn the money to pay his fees! :)

i think producers are hierd by the lable to produce them an album by a certain date, for a price or royalties of the track, its there job to book studio, hire enginers, session players, organize dates and so on.

diffrent producers have diffrent approchs, so some are ex-musiancs who help with creation of music and/or mixing, while others jus stand back an motaviate people.

some of the best producers do multiple genre's, let the artist remain into there own styling and add or touch up when needed...listen 2 Rick Rubin's production on early def jam and his System of A Down recording...listen 2 Dangermouses Gnarls Barkley, then Beck and The Black Keys albums from 2008...good things 2 listen 2 styles from producers from multiple genres..and a producer and an engineer are 2 diffferent things and are in every genre/studio

Yeah i heard when Red Hot Chili Peppers are recording an album, Rick Rubin sits on a couch surrounded by pillows and cushions and just listens to everything, with the occasional "turn that up" or "cut that bit out". Not too bad a job considering how much he gets paid...

I've just started to try to produce some of my own material with a rock sound and it's really just trial and error.

Back