Tommy Lee Says Recording Albums Is Pointless Now

MarkKenneth

Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee says that that there’s no point recording albums anymore. In an interview with Noisecreep, the drummer said that he’s probably made his last album and thinks it’s better to stick to singles or EPs. He said, “As far as new music goes, and people say it all the time, ‘When are you guys gonna make a new record, dude?’ It’s like, ‘Really, why?’ No one buys them anyway anymore. And I’m not sure what the reason is. To tell you the truth, I think the days of making a record, for me personally, are over…..

http://bit.ly/l0Gz9u

Last edited:
Not a bad idea anyways. Most don't have the attention span to go through a whole album anyways. Why not drop singles every now and then. It will keep you current too, your name starts fading release another track instead of needing a whole album. Also, with this route, you could make every song have a video which I think is a part of the music business getting bigger and bigger, cinematography in relationship to music. With singles there is no rush, you can make them all extremely high quality, you can afford to use/buy/rent better gear to put it all together... I like it.

...but how would these artist make money off of their career?

Sales, ascap, various ways.

I guess it would probably be a good idea to release an album so you have something to tour with, and then keep releasing singles to keep thriving.

Maybe, becuase the albums out now are awful, if they focus on making an album that flows from beginning to end, they can drop hot albums again, Idk, just my opinion.

Maybe, becuase the albums out now are awful, if they focus on making an album that flows from beginning to end, they can drop hot albums again, Idk, just my opinion.

Some (Radiohead, to name one) blame iTunes' and iPod's "random" function for killing the concept album. What's the point of putting songs purposely in order if the listener is gonna get a track here and there, out of context?

Some (Radiohead, to name one) blame iTunes' and iPod's "random" function for killing the concept album. What's the point of putting songs purposely in order if the listener is gonna get a track here and there, out of context?

I strongly believe many people don't have a strong enough attention span to listen to an album in it's entirety.

I think creativity and quality is DEAD, so how can someone buy an album if their appreciation is geared towards pop and hit songs and shit like that. Music is an art, but its also become a product. and there are some shitty ass products, and their are HIGHKY MARketable products...think about that

I don't know if I'm most people. But if Motley Crue put out a new Album, I'll buy it. I might not buy it the first week, or even month it comes out. I'll wait till it gets close to $10, I think my limit is $12.

But If I like the band, I'm buying the CD. Slash, Velvet Revolver, Creed, Alter Bridge, Crue, Cult, Megadeth.... I buy them all.

However, the last CD I bought, that I really enjoyed & insist on listening to from start to finish..... The Heroin Diaries.

I think if bands get back to marketing bands, people will keep buying albums. Right now, it's too impersonal & they're just dropping albums for the money.

I've got everything BLS ever put out. & I'll continue to buy them. Bonamassa, Jonny Lang, Izzy Stradlin, Down....

But that's just me.

It's not a bad idea, it definitely makes sense from a business aspect. I personally like whole albums, but it seems like most people can't put out a good whole album anymore. Given that, it might actually be better for most mainstream artists to frequently put out single worthy material than to put out a mediocre album every year or two.

hm, i can see how that less emphasis on records would be a big deal for rock bands, being how the popularity of the entire genre is definitely not what it used to be. Combined with the fact that i rarely hear a rock album that catches my attention from start to finish. I find more catchyness myself from dance pop(thats just me though). But still yet, i don't see bands completely annihilating their albums . I see them just as part of bigger packages, that may come with more art, more discount opportunities, more information about the band and all sorts of other fun stuff. Being how music is so easy to transfer, the business model would definitely need to change, not that many people give a crap about buying an album anymore, but people still do love those shows and helping bands they relate to .

As Tommy Lee he's probably right. As an emerging artist you need something to sell at your shows and shows are where the best money is at nowadays.

Back