Tommy Lee Says Recording Albums Is Pointless Now

why would people pay for music that they can't even keep (live) as opposed to music that they CAN keep, and literally play EVERYDAY???

Well they buy the CDs we sell for a few bucks, but people who come to our shows multiple times ain't buying the same disc every time, ya know? So if we have 3 shows in a month, its not likely we're selling a lot of CDs by the 3rd show. But we've recieved "guaranteed money" from the club every single time - either a set amount, or our share of the door money (which is still a lot more than the merch table gets us).

Last edited by a moderator:
why would people pay for music that they can't even keep (live) as opposed to music that they CAN keep, and literally play EVERYDAY???

I don't know. But the movie theaters still seem to be doing alright.

Or, why would someone pay for music to play everyday when they can go on Youtube and play it everyday for free?

There are many variables, but what it all breaks down is just something to do. You go to a concert to get out of the house.

Or, maybe your like me and go to a concert to support artists. I'll be the first to admit I do not buy CDs. I HATE CDs. But if I like the artist I will go to their show and maybe buy a shirt if I really like them.

Lets be honest here, the only reason CDs are still in existence (and largely losing relevance due to online music sharing) is to show people you have new music so they can be interested enough to come to your concert and buy merch.

Besides, as far as music goes, it's hard to beat a great live performance.

I don't know. But the movie theaters still seem to be doing alright

that's actually a really good point

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

the only reason CDs are still in existence is to show people you have new music so they can be interested enough to come to your concert and buy merch

are those cd's that you're talking about being GIVEN AWAY or SOLD?

seems like MERCHANDISE SALES are just paying of the production costs / overhead of CD-DUPLICATION...

[QUOTE='[F_or_DEAF]

are those cd's that you're talking about being GIVEN AWAY or SOLD?

seems like MERCHANDISE SALES are just paying of the production costs / overhead of CD-DUPLICATION...[/QUOTE]

Nobody is giving away CDs anymore. At least not around here. Nobodies won't even give you their demo for free lol.
But yes, basically the CD sales should (hopefully... lol) cover the production of the album and if there is a little left over for gas money and a pizza then they did good I imagine. In the hardcore scene it's weird.... there's literally like 3 or 4 producers that handle EVERYBODY. It's VERY different form the hip-hop world. It's essentially an oligopoly. These bands tour, then go to the studio where they write and record the album on the spot, usually for 2-3 weeks where they will LIVE at the producers house and do the album. After that back on the road. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

One of the big guys is Joey Sturgis out in Indiana. There's a million videos of "studio updates" on youtube of bands recording at his place that you can look up if you want, but have a look at this discography. These labels sign bands and run them through like a car wash. Pretty good niche to be in if you're a producer though...

Joey Sturgis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A couple others are Erik Ron and Will Putney, but Joey is probably the most well known.

I think its just a cycle and each perspective of music plays hand in hand with the others. Shows do generate the majority of a bands/artists income, but no one goes to shows on a whim, they usually want to see a band they are familiar with. But to gain interest of fans, bands/artists release albums. to gain interest in the album, they release singles. So to say that no longer making albums makes sense does not make sense. Also, there are fans who may not be able to make it to shows so albums are the next best thing.

having an album to tour with is a great idea - having a collection of singles labled as an ep also works though so a career on singles isnt bad

He's just not making the money he wants to. Tommy Lee is an icon in the business but his name is no longer relevant. Of course not as many people are going to buy his album because not as many people from the newest generation know him...He needs to promote himself more.

When someone like Tommy Lee (who obviously wants to keep recording albums) comes out and says "what's the point anymore?", it's not really setting a good example. By that I mean, how will we ever see a revival of rock albums if the big bands (who are financially secure) don't continue to promote the values of them?

I think this idea sucks to be honest!.
I mean there will be no creativity anymore.. will just need to be "commercial" - some songs (that I regard the highest) will never be able to stand on its own if it was a single. - but becasue its part of the album its acceptable. - this just strips away everything possible from the artsits. and turns them into POP music!
Thanks.. but no thanks!

I think one thing people don't factor in is that the biggest touring artists have got to that point from putting together meaningful albums. You still have to make music that touches people for you to sell out arenas.

I think one thing people don't factor in is that the biggest touring artists have got to that point from putting together meaningful albums. You still have to make music that touches people for you to sell out arenas.

I don't think there are more than a dozen rock bands or so that can sell out an arena tour right now. And most of them got their start before 2000, when radio and TV were the ways to promote. The genre hasn't died, but it has changed.

well' i'm a hip-hop/R&B guy myself ... ended up in the metal/rock room from looking under new posts lol

so I don't know the specifics of this genre, but just in general, I think the big touring artists have that body of work, other than someone like Katy Perry or Rihanna who can tour off of an album that's more a singles collection because their image caters to that crowd

He's just like every other old person: saw vinyl die and now that the cd is dying, wants to predict the music market's imminent death altogether. There is a huge resurgence of vinyl going on now and for some dumb reason people do still buy Motley Crue records

Back