is rock music dead

I think the music industry in general needs a kick in the shins. They release whatever's the latest trend. Rock and metal is very much alive, it's the radio that's killing it.

You need to get sirius and listen to Octane. The Radio is DEAD.

GuitarplayainMD said:
Rock music isn't dead...it just smells funny.

LMAO...... It aint teen spirit

Last edited:
Mainstream music is dying, no reason to dwell on it(not directed to anyone, just general convo). Don't sweat what's on the radio or TV. Rock's pretty much dead as far as being televised. Avril and Ashley Simson are as real as it get's on a screen these days.

Music's come to a point where everyone has to face the fact that some random guys on myspace or garageband.com rock 50 times harder than the groups labels are currently pushing. People are finding ways to capitalize on that without radio/video play and big label backing.

That new Serj Tankian album is very much alive. Also feeling a few groups to come out recently Panic at the Disco pretty cool so some mainstream is still pushing limits.

I think there's tons of rock out there, but most bands don't have the cash 100K+ to roll it out across the US, so you'll never hear it unless you're really into the live scene.

its all dead! rap, rock, all dead!

nah just kidding. theres still a few good rock bands. neurosis, mastodon, shellac, isis, down, crowbar....

just do your research. don't rely on the radio or you'll get the rock equivalent of the trash u hear on rap radio.

Just like rap and hip hop.. it's dead to others because they hear the mainstream and radio side of it....

TonyV said:
rock muisc needs a new sound because it all sounds the same
people say the same thing about hip hop. Rock is still out there man, i used to be huge into the whole punk scene.

Alot of people round my area are just getting in to Rock as to us it is refreshing because we've all been listening to Hip-Hop for the past ten years.

everything I hear on TV / Rdio sounds the same...

I am sure that there are plenty of underground stuff... majors dont invest in them I guess?

same with hip hop :) ... though there are some good ones still (common, etc)

When you flip on the radio and hear the umpteenmillionth Fall Out Boy clone full of members who can't seem to play more than five chords on their guitar it's easy to think that rock is dead. It's been said before that nowadays some random local band with a page on Myspace tends to rock harder than any of the crap you hear on the radio, and I'd have to say that is true.

I hope Rock and Country dies!!

Because almost every single person in USA is listening to ROCk or COUNTRY!

I don't like Country because there's too much, LAP STEEL guitar, and all songs are in MAJOR keys.

And I hate ROCK because it's mostly just Distorted guitar and drum beating, and screaming instead of singing. and noise instead of music!

Vhz said:
I hope Rock and Country dies!!

Because almost every single person in USA is listening to ROCk or COUNTRY!

I don't like Country because there's too much, LAP STEEL guitar, and all songs are in MAJOR keys.

And I hate ROCK because it's mostly just Distorted guitar and drum beating, and screaming instead of singing. and noise instead of music!

I hope Hip Hop and R&B dies.

Because almost every single person in USA is listening to Hip Hop or R&B!

I don't like Hip Hop because there's too much, Lil Jon synths, and all songs are in MINOR keys.

And I hate Hip Hop because it's mostly just 808's and gun toting, and talking instead of singing. and beatz instead of music!

Now do you realise what you just said is stupid?

If you ask me, rock has been dead since the 70's ended.

The only really good stuff that has come out since then is 30 Seconds to Mars. They are a great band.

Wow! sad to see this idea exists in Rock too...but the music industry as we know it, is dead... They haven't accepted it yet, though. There is amazing music out there in all genres, ROCK and HIP HOP included. But the issue is that Majors believe people won't support it, so they don't invest. The point is, cats have to put in work now to hear "good" new music. Not turn on the TV/Radio. So surf the web/get out and support artists with integrity...us bitching on forums does nothing...There are artists who deserve our support, yet they are starving...

if the beatles were here today would they suck to ?has everything been done to death already.rock music had some hope in the early 90's but it been spinning its wheels for years now

Last edited:
Back