Is Rock and Metal Dead?

Musicmaniac1

I'm a passionate rock and metal fan(among other genres). But since the evolution of electronic music do you feel that Bands are in danger?

post your thoughts below and feel free to elaborate your feelings

are you kidding me man?!!! what other genre has as many ever-evolving and constantly growing sub-genres as metal?? NONE. and not to mention the most dedicated fans

i mean there's even SUB sub genres

Last edited:
are you kidding me man?!!! what other genre has as many ever-evolving and constantly growing sub-genres as metal?? NONE. and not to mention the most dedicated fans

i mean there's even SUB sub genres

Umm...jazz, for starters. Of course, you would have to be a jazz enthusiast to realize that.

This is the... what... 7th time this question has been asked since I joined FP?

NO IT ISN'T, STOP ASKING.

Last edited:
I don't see it as an issue either way. Metal and electronic were both spawned out of rock music. Both have roots roughly at the same time (late 60's), and have often shared many evolutionary convergences. The way I see it, neither genre is in danger of overcoming the other as both seem to be complementary to the other.
To me, the differences between traditional and electronic music are not to be argued over...but embraced as a sort of yin-yang of music. For even metal (and other later experiments in traditional rock) technically implement electronic-augmentation through amplification, distortion, LFO's and even synthesizers (even Black Sabbath--Ozzy's Black Sabbath would use a synth now and again). These forces of natural and synthetic rotate about eachother, and when they coalesce, amazing things can happen.
Personally it's difficult for me to listen to anything that could be considered purely electronic or rock/metal because (to me) there's so little going on.

Btw OP, is that you Tony?

The years of greatness rock/metal music are gone. Now we have HH days.
But I see that many of ppl listen to Rock and Metal. As someone said-It's not in mainstream anymore but ist's alive in our heads/hearts.
Every day I listen to hip-hop, but if I go to a concert I want to listen to rock or metal, and feel the energy from the scene

But I see that many of ppl listen to Rock and Metal. As someone said-It's not in mainstream anymore but ist's alive in our heads/hearts.

thats the thing man....we don't WANT it to be mainstream. If it was, it wouldn't be cool anymore. I mean just look at what happened in the 80's. Metal became totally watered down and was basically pop music by the end of the decade. Metal is ****in HUGE and will never die. You shoulda seen how many people were at the Meshuggah show last month. Literally EVERY metalhead in NYC was there...

and to be quite honest, I don't think most metalheads would even want rap fans to be infiltrating our beloved genre. hahah

It's not dead ,but its lame and boring.Somebody please pull the plug already ! It's 2012 and people are still trying to make rock music like they did 50 years ago.thats like the Beatles trying to make classical music the way Mozart did.People say rock is evolving :cry: listen to the Beatles first album then listen to revolver or sgt peppers, that's evolving ! and it didn't take 50 years ether :bigeyes:

Last edited:
Not at all. It's evolving like every other genre. It's just not being played in the radio :)
how the hell is it evolving bro, every time i try listening to a metal band that's come out recently it's something i've heard done before, better, at least 5 if not 10 years or more ago.

Last edited:
Rock aint dead!!!!!!! Rush just put an album out and that shits ****in mind blowing... look it up.... Clockwork angels...

I think 'metalcore' is just another name for that riff that 'metalcore' bands all copied off of one another. Djent/prog/tech metal ftw. Sikth <3

Back