Is Rock and Metal Dead?

I don't think that actually. I play in a grind band, which is actually more endangered specie than any other and still we have a great response, people often come to see us play. And there's still a decent population of people loving metal and rock stuff. So I wouldn't be worried. :)

Electronic music has been around since the mid sixties (that we know of at least :p) and you saw how many amazing bands came from the sixties to eighties, so why would that change because of the last few years?

Only from mainstream music video channels other than that rock is pretty much the center of a lot of Kids and teens life's,
1.Look at Disney channel it's music is mostly Rock and Pop it's no 1 show is about a washed up Rock band trying to make a come back.
2.Wrestling entertainment (something alot of kids can't live without)W.W.E and T.N.A Have alot of rock, infact most of thier major superstars have a Rock soundtrack e.g the Rock, Cm Punk, Jericho, Randy orton, HHH and so on.

MY younger brother 11 and his friends think rock is awesome (like most of us when we were their age) Noise, rebellion, and looking cool (i don't give a sh8t) is all kids need. Iv'e actually come to realize Rock will never die because of it's appeal to youth, There is nothing like it or even close to it for them. Hip hop seems to 'grown up' for most kids as its all about Balling , Money, Weed and big Booty hoes.Things 8 - 14 year olds don't give a shit about. Pop and electro will always be cool, but will never have the rebellion group intoxication you get from rock guitar riffs pounding your eardrums back and forth about how your parents don't understand you. Dub step i personally find my rebellion intoxication there now (i'm 21) It's like a huge middle finger to the world of classic, Jazz and especially commercial music I love it. But i can't really get my brother and his friends into it , there like icool beats but meaningless lyrics. Reggae again,, weed and Rasta's to kids are a bit estranged. Jazz , for old people, So rock Has a Strong market in the youth and when you fall in love with something as a kid it usually takes decades to forget about it. My favorite Band to this day is Red Hot Chilli Peppers , My favorite Icon of all time is Slash, But i'm mostly into Pop rock and electro now.
D$truction Band Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

Hahah, no its not bro. Just look at Misha Mansoor's (as a MERE example of all the metal geniuses out there) progress since 2005 to periphery's latest album....they're ALL pushing boundaries.

Not a chance... It's alive a well, people are still buying the music, buying merchandise, and attending performances. Maybe in a mainsteam sense the genre isn't as visible but its still a big genre. Alot of indie bands are going alot further now as well.

Not a chance... It's alive a well, people are still buying the music, buying merchandise, and attending performances. Maybe in a mainsteam sense the genre isn't as visible but its still a big genre. Alot of indie bands are going alot further now as well.

I always wonder how an artist can earn some money without major deals.

I guess bands have more loyal fanbases?

I'd say rock is still alive. BUT the money is really all in touring now. Aside from the occasional Vinyl-head few people actually pay for their music these days. It's just far too easy to download for free. On a positive note, I think these bands should tour more. Rather than just producing one album every five years and hoping that it sells.

Last edited:
I'd say rock is still alive. BUT the money is really all in touring now. Aside from the occasional Vinyl-head few people actually pay for their music these days. It's just far too easy to download for free. On a positive note, I think these bands should tour more. Rather than just producing one album every five years and hoping that it sells.

Most bands DO realize this. They're after gigs, not albums. See Metallica as an example: how many gigs they've made since the release of "Death Magnetic" in 2008? The Record companies are after albums, and hoping them to sell.

Back