Is rock dead???

Tell me your definition of dead and I will get you to answer your own question...

Personally, I believe no music ever dies. It's born and then it's there forever for anyone to just listen to. I don't care how much money there is in it, or what's number one on the charts or even if it's made anymore. If it existed...it's still here. It's just up to you whether or not you like it enough to go find it or make more...

Tell me your definition of dead and I will get you to answer your own question...

Personally, I believe no music ever dies. It's born and then it's there forever for anyone to just listen to. I don't care how much money there is in it, or what's number one on the charts or even if it's made anymore. If it existed...it's still here. It's just up to you whether or not you like it enough to go find it or make more...

This. The answer to every question about whether or not a style is dead.

Rock aint dead. Its an underground genre so itll never be huge. People love to dance to music so rnb/hiphop/pop/dnb is perfect for that, rock is for people who like to sing to music, play to it, go see it live and that will never be as big a fanbase.

My favorite metal band, Tool, are pretty unknown tbh, but that didnt stop their album lateralus reaching the top ten in many countries.

Rock isnt dead, its just hidden ;)

Rock is definetly not an underground genre. Tool was/is a fairly popular band, all their albums sell a million plus in the States.

If you know most rock is just stale and rehashing itself, you listen to new bands because you enjoy their sound not because you're hearing something new and unique, no matter what the critics tell you.

I do see a certain degree of resistance to new artists in rock music. Most of the bands rattled off in this forum are at least 10 years in, and have been established, successful acts prior to the current year (had better album sales for past efforts as well.) The problem is you get the hardcore fanboys who will NEVER listen to anything other than their core favorites. And then you've got the underground kids who will only dig a band UNTIL they get a certain degree of success, then they throw them under the bus as "sell-outs."
I think this has always been the problem with rock music though. It's born of rebellion and has a stigma that once you become successful, you become part of the established order and must be rebelled against.
As long as we don't start singing about cash/cars/hoes we'll be alright though (notwithstanding Nickelback...bastards)

I do see a certain degree of resistance to new artists in rock music. Most of the bands rattled off in this forum are at least 10 years in, and have been established, successful acts prior to the current year (had better album sales for past efforts as well.) The problem is you get the hardcore fanboys who will NEVER listen to anything other than their core favorites. And then you've got the underground kids who will only dig a band UNTIL they get a certain degree of success, then they throw them under the bus as "sell-outs."
I think this has always been the problem with rock music though. It's born of rebellion and has a stigma that once you become successful, you become part of the established order and must be rebelled against.
As long as we don't start singing about cash/cars/hoes we'll be alright though (notwithstanding Nickelback...bastards)

totally agree about people following a band to a certain point in the "success" road, you know of any new bands i should check out

@W.A.I.S.: Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck in the past, listening to Al Green, Rod Stewart, P-Funk and Gary Neuman in heavy rotation at the moment...but when people ask for my opinion on modern rock my go-to band has been Muse (although even they've been around for a minute.) I also see some good things coming out of Silversun Pickups (but they're on their third album or so, and I HATE their name.) Metric (also not new to the game) and to a lesser, more narrowly-poppy sense, MGMT.

I don't think it's dead, but it's time for it to evolve. It's been stuck in stagnation for the last decade, at least. I think the rise of poppy rock, and the A&R Rep created pretty bands, has done tons of damage to rock music.

hi there,

rock will never die, some get close to rock in electro and othe

Cheers, Batman :bat:

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Hi there

think that rock will never die, some get close to it in electro by this day.

I like MGMT, they really in between, still NIN - one the best so far !

Cheers Batman :bat:

the last time i visited pakistan trust you me those arab and whatever you wanna call em got some hell of rock trance thta can make Serj tankien go back to mcdonalds,clweaning those darn dishes

Yes.

Rock is dead.

I used to like listening to a lot of rock music in the 90's (along with hip-hop and many other genres as well). But since 2000 up til now, with the invention of Myspace, the dramatic change away from music on MTV, and an over abundance of cheezy lookalike shit bands...Rock has died.

I think 4 white dudes with the same 4 instruments (guitar, bass, drums, vox) just got old and unimaginative and the new generation got sick of it.

But lately, there is some decent new stuff coming out. I think finally those experimental bands that combine rock, hip hop, electric, punk, dance and so on are finally starting to find their groove.

I can't wait For The Next Guy that Impresses Me with His 2 handed Finger Tapping on Guitar ....When The Guitar solo and The Technology Finally Became Common..(remember Framptons Cool Talk Box?....)..There was Nothing MORE ..7 strings ?..8 strings ..12 Strings?..all These toys are cool For 1 song ..then what?...Rock ain't Dead..it Just ain't Selling GIZMO's and Les Pauls No More...It is The same today as yesterday...Follow the Money!!!...AND JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING or SOMEONE DON'T "Sell"...or Become a You tube Sensation..Or Have you Humming it On your way to Buy a Truck Built Like a Rock....Doesn't Mean It has Passed away...Everything is a Wave Form...Some you see Some you Don't...But They Live Forever....and Need No witness...\m/\m/

Rock isn't dead, it's just that the mainstream/horrible music dominated the popular music of this generation. Which truely sucks...there are still plenty of rock bands, you just have to look harder now!

OMG, no it's not dead, you just have to search more for an underground bands

Yeah but that's like saying Disco is not dead, then. Yeah, you can still find Disco bands, but it's not like it was in 1978. Rock surely isn't dead, but it's very old, at this point. There was a time when you didn't have to "search" for Rock & Roll - it was just always there. Now, it's not. Everyone was looking to Muse for a while, but even they dropped a mostly-Electronic/Dubstep album.

I just saw Phish a couple weeks ago.. It was a welcome return to the organic sound/feel of what I remember Rock sounding/feeling like.

Back