Is rock dead???

calmAss

I've noticed that the singles chart is dominated by pop and RnB. And the album chart is dominated by pop and country music.

I can't remember any new bands (especially in the US) that has been successful. The only successful rock bands are the old bands from about 10 years ago and earlier. I thought hip hop was in the worse state but Rock is struggling. It seems like the fans have migrated to country music and abandoned rock.

But they have a healthy live industry so they won't struggle too much.

We'll not even talk about hard rock and metal, they been dead.

So, is rock music dead? What happened to it?

Hmmmm, this section is called Rap & Hip-Hop/R&B. I wonder if there's a reason for that? :rolleyes:

i guess it depends what you think rock is and what you think successful means but i don't think there is a decline at all. same with hard rock/metal, there are still tonnes of bands making a good living doing it

i think metal is doing great only thing is we never hear about it because it doesnt apeal to such a broad crowd.

By rock, I'm assuming you mean any music white people make using a band. Look at their record sales and the successful tours. It's definitely not dead. And in Canada, the charts are dominated by "rock".

First of all, I post this here because no one goes to the rock section.

Second of all, I know what rock is. I don't think it's all music white people make using a band. lol

If you guys know of any successful rock album (in the US) that came out this year, please name them.

i think the tones did hella good.

deftones diamond eyes

Charts and sales
Diamond Eyes was expected to sell between 55,000 and 60,000 records in the US during its first week, based on day one sales, according to Hits Daily Double.[28] The album sold 62,000 copies in the US and debuted at number 6 on the Billboard 200.[29]

waits for smart ass know it all to come in and say this isnt good

First of all, I post this here because no one goes to the rock section.

Second of all, I know what rock is. I don't think it's all music white people make using a band. lol

If you guys know of any successful rock album (in the US) that came out this year, please name them.

That's what I also tell the mods when they move MY threads which are about Hip-Hop. Only difference is they are not about established artists.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

It's nothing personal, I'm just making a point here.

Rock is big in europe and south America. Rock doesn't really get to much attention in America anymore. It's mostly about Pop and Contemporary country now.

rock metal country pop rap trance it all gets lots of play just depends on the radio station and maybe location ur at. but they all get plays shows and money.

what about tokio hotel?
Or isn't that rock?
(never heard a song of them, just seen pictures of them)

At this point in time I venture to state that no form of music actually dies completely. That being said...

... America has issues. Period.

If rock and metal were truly dead, there wouldn't be a thread on a forum asking whether or not it is. The new bands just aren't getting top 40 hits (for the most part) and the rest care enough about having their own sound not to try and break into the top 40 (which tends to be the deathblow to many artists in all genres, with some exceptions)

rock is far from dead... this week IN THIS MOMENT cracked the top 40 on the billboard charts... HELLYEAH crcked the top ten with stampede and KORN 3 debuts at # 2.. not to mention OZZYs scream cd is 15 or something .. then you look at the summer concert schedule, RUSH are playing arenas on the time machine tour, avengened sevenfold and disturbed are about to sell out every arena in the U.S. KORN also as well as Megadeth,Anthrax and Slayer all have arena tours in the U.S this summer and fall ...where are the hip hop tours????? rock / metal is as strong as ever..cd sales are down but that's with all genres.... if any genre is dying its hip hop .. these hip hop acts need to come with something new cuz for the last 3 years or so its been the same recycles beats the same recycled lyrics... the only thing keeping hip hop afloat is the pop artists. the well is running dry

Last edited:
Just because most rock doesn't make it on a chart don't make rock dead.The media controls what's "big."Take for instance american idol,I Think that's one of the main reasons that country is where it is now.MTV mostly shows nothing but rap/hip-hop/pop.Give it some time rock will make it's comeback.lol.Currently the main "rock" band ive been listening to is Five finger death punch.A decent band but,They do have a touch of metal.That's if you like metal.

Back