Is rock dead???

Like Modestep :angel:

Yeah, rock is definitely not dead. There are a number of radio stations here that still play it and you have local rock bands cropping up every month.

'America' is all about 'Contemporary Country' right now???

Can I get the f*%$ out of dodge yet?

I'll tell you what killed rock and metal - whiny faggot emo kids. True story. Bring back REAL rock.

Last edited:
Everything goes in cycles. If something drops out of popularity, chances are it will make a resurgence later during some other things drop in popularity. You can't "uninvent" anything. Genres die down in popularity when they get stagnant; too many people wanting to sound the same way, talk about the same stuff, put on the same act, do the same things, etc. Every genre has that issue at some point, usually more than once. Rock is alive and well in the alternative rock segment; it just isn't what most people think of when they think of "rock", just like how 90s grunge wasn't "rock n roll" to many in that generation. There are tons of great bands receiving great popularity and attention right now but you wont hear much of it outside of satellite radio, concerts, and other venues. Alt rock is a combination of all sorts of genres now and I think that is a beautiful thing and is the real lifeblood and future of music. There will always be the Pop/Hip Hop stuff on the charts since its pushed there by the biggest industry, but creativity is the real driving force of music - not making money, getting on TV and being famous, etc. The real lasting contributions to music history will be those that set out to create for the sake of creating and for the love of music and art.

Just my two cents.

Traditional music is dead. Music is starting to blend into each other and genres are getting less defined as more styles come together. People are bored of the same old things and new things await those who study the great acts of the previous generation. (generations repeat each decade)

Mindsets change on an average of every 4 years in my personal studies. People get tired of everything in their lives and chase new things.

I really don't think too many people come onto this forum looking to produce/make/listen to rock music, are you retarded.
you would have to be retarded to think that someone's going to come on here to produce rock music, lol.

Why the **** would you come asking that question on a (mostly) hip-hop forum.
/cmonson

If you're looking for rock go to a retirement home, son

I really don't think too many people come onto this forum looking to produce/make/listen to rock music, are you retarded.
you would have to be retarded to think that someone's going to come on here to produce rock music, lol.

Why the **** would you come asking that question on a (mostly) hip-hop forum.
/cmonson

If you're looking for rock go to a retirement home, son

I have a Heavy Metal background, still listen to it, still buy CDs, AND I produce EDM with influences from Heavy Metal/Rock and Roll. Now, in topic, NO Rock is not dead, and it never will. If we take account that Rock is out there longer than many of other music genres, I believe it simply doesn't die, it evolves.

Only from mainstream music video channels other than that rock is pretty much the center of a lot of Kids and teens life's,
I Totaly agree with you on New rock bands though but thats because most of them are just so average. And great bands like Zepplin , Guns and roses, U2 even Linkin Park have no 'New Generation' Replacements but Rock will never die heres why:
1.Look at Disney channel it's music is mostly Rock and Pop it's no 1 show is about a washed up Rock band trying to make a come back.
2.Wrestling entertainment (something alot of kids can't live without)W.W.E and T.N.A Have alot of rock, infact most of thier major superstars have a Rock soundtrack e.g the Rock, Cm Punk, Jericho, Randy Orton, HHH and so on.

MY younger brother 11 and his friends think rock is awesome (like most of us when we were their age) Noise, rebellion, and looking cool (i don't give a sh8t) is all kids need. Iv'e actually come to realize Rock will never die because of it's appeal to youth, There is nothing like it or even close to it for them. Mainstream Hip hop seems to 'grown up' for most kids and early teens as its all about Balling , Money, Weed and big Booty hoes.Things 8 - 14 year olds don't give a shit about. Pop and electro will always be cool, but will never have the rebellion group intoxication you get from rock guitar riffs pounding your eardrums back and forth about how your parents don't understand you. Dub step i personally find my rebellion intoxication there now (i'm 21) It's like a huge middle finger to the world of classic, Jazz and especially commercial music I love it. But i can't really get my brother and his friends into it , there like icool beats but meaningless lyrics. Reggae again,, weed and Rasta's to kids are a bit estranged. Jazz , for old people, So rock Has a Strong market in the youth and when you fall in love with something as a kid it usually takes decades to forget about it. My favorite Band to this day is Red Hot Chilli Peppers , My favorite Icon of all time is Slash, But i mostly make Pop rock and EDM now. Remember even Skrillex was in a emo metal band :),, Ps i think hip hop will die first, some thing i feel drake knows hence the rnb switch now, funny though cause he helped kill it!
D$truction Band Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

Last edited:
Music never dies. For as long as its been recorded, sub-genres might come and go - but the essentials - such as the mood captured by classical (orchestral) music (name any big films that dont have orchestral music in them, there arent that many) the energy captured by rock music, the lyrical genius of rap, the endless possibilities of electronic music...all this (and more) give young musicians the foundations on which to create from....I don't see rock dying ever (as with any other genre). Sure its not popular, that doesnt mean its not there.

I doubt it will ever happen. Yes - it may change, new genres will most probably appear, but a whole genre that has lots of fans, supporters and bands will hardly die out. Only perhaps if all people on Earth disappear :)

Back