Nirvana

D

Dj stretch

This is a touchy subject, and needs to be handled with care. i posted a similar thread on another forum, and was greeted with death threats, so please dont. I love nirvana, and i view kurt cobain as a god, but do you think they are over rated? They wern't the only band of their genre at the time, (although they did do it better than the rest). I get the impression that most people already have them down as imortal gods before they even hear the music, so you dont get an objective opinion. I think if kurt cobain hadn't died (and we all know courtney love was responsible for that) then after a while, once all the hype had died down, they would have been "just another good band", like RATM or something. I have spoken to a lot of people who saw them live, and most of them said that they sucked live. Some of their music was genious, but i dont think it was imortal (unlike kurt cobain who clearly was imortal).
(p.s no death threats please)

Hmmm I liked Nirvana stuff...especially the unplugged album...I'll try to listen to it again, got to remove the dust before ! :)

Unplugged is definatly their best album, its highly underated.

rehashed 70's rock

i was in europe when the whole "grunge" thing broke big. i was anticipating something BIG from it when i got back (i was there for 2 yrs and didnt have access to much music). i was somewhat dissapointed that in general it seemed to be rehashed 70's rock (especially temple of the dog and all the pearl jam stuff). now it wasnt too bad, i think i just had really high expectations that it was going to be the next extraordinary punk rock. oh well...

i did buy nevermind and there is some good stuff on that, my brother had the unpluged on cd and to me it was just annoying music.

just an opinion

Was it coz u don't like the genre of acoustic, or did you just not like that albun in specific?

acoustic is fine

it wasnt the problem with acoustic, i play a bit of guitar my self and played mainly acoustic at the time. it was just the album in general, maybe it was because of all the hype too. like i said, i think i had too many expectations of grunge and because of that was dissapointed.

when i said annoying for me it was too much whining (thats the only way i can think to describe the sound). not whining as complaining, but just the overall sound.

baisically i didnt bond with the music. i had listened to alot of punk and other rock stuff at that time. i have this theory that the past repeats itself in 20 yr increments. during the 80's when i was in highschool alot of people were listening to all the 60's rock and hippy bands. and then in the 90's the whole 70's bell bottom became a novelty, also my opinion that grunge is kind of a rehash of 70's rock. now there are all these 80's radio stations popping up.???

continue with your enjoyment with nirvana, i guess it just isnt for me.

fair enough!:) I agree that the "fashions" seem to follow 20 years behind, but only for the mainstream. I can't imagine why anyone would like the 80's, but hey, thats just my opinion!:cool:

i only spin in my bedroom, but as you may have read in other posts, i'm in a pretty sucessful band, and although i normaly do vocals+guitar, i do spin in a couple of tracks, but not nirvana, it's to popular to play + there are big copyright issues.:)

spinning nirvana

even in your room, do you try to mix nirvana? i am asking because i want to try and mix all my rock records and things like that. just wanted to know if you had any success with it?

My all time fav nirvana song is "The man who sold the world"

Never makes me think anything else about them.

They're not immortal

I went to see Nirvana a bunch of times around the release of Bleach, and they did suck live, they used to play a lot with Mudhoney and Tad, both of who creamed them live. I also met Kurt and talked to him about music and he told me he never wanted to be really famous, he was a regular guy with a few problems and a lot of musical talent. On the topic of Nevermind, my friends and I were given pre-release copies a couple of months before the record came out and played it to death. We all agreed prior to the hype that is was a great album, best of the year we all said. Then the amount of radio play it got ruined it for everyone, especially Kurt.

Marketing kills true beauty.

Nirvana also had a lot of punk influences to go along with the rehased 70's rock and extra distortion. The reason they got so big was because of the need for a breath of fresh air to the music industry. Grunge music was something that wasn't hard to pick up musically and the people who the "stars" could be they guys who lived 2 houses down from yours. It smashed the myth of the Rock God for a few years to show people that anybody could be a rock star witht the right timing, a good sound, and something new. Looks and luck don't hurt either.

Personally, I thought they were OK. I preferred Soundgarden. But they are now gone too. They were a short revolution in the musical world which was overtaken by pop for a while then rap/rock and now we hopefully will give metal the attention it deserves. ;)

I couldn't really care less about Kurt's ex-wife (sh*tty band anyway) or guys with long hair from the land of Starbucks and more rain than Monsoon season in India. It was the moment for grunge. Nirvana was the leader. This subject is played out.

Nirvana were a good band but for some reason I preferred Soundgarden and Alice In Chains.

---------- Post added 09-19-2011 at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-13-2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

If you like Nirvana please let me know what you think of my new track?

the man who sold the world is not their song btw

also we all know never-mind was their best cd sonicly and musically, then inurto bleach unpluged insesticide.

and they have 23453245234 b-sides which are sick like i hate myself and i wanna die.

are they alt gods? yup, are they the only? no, mudhoney, sound garden, pumpkins, alice, etc

def not over rated. Only thing thats over rated is kurts lyrics.

I never got the obsession with Nirvana. IMO, their Unplugged album is unlistenable because of Cobain's voice. He just wasn't that good a singer. I thought Incesticide was their best album, and it's mostly cover songs, if I remember right..

Incesticide is a compilation album by the American grunge band Nirvana. Incesticide consists of demos, outtakes, and radio broadcast recordings. At the time, all of the material on Incesticide was circulating within fan communities (albeit in lower quality). It was widely reported in the music press that the band wanted to offer fans a higher-quality alternative, but in the book Cobain Unseen, Charles R. Cross reveals that Kurt Cobain agreed to the release of this compilation because he was allowed complete control over the album's artwork. The album was released on December 14, 1992 in Europe, and December 15, 1992 in the United States. Incesticide debuted at fifty-one and eventually reached number thirty-nine on the Billboard 200.

also only good grunge signer was chris from soundgarden

don't want to start a fight or anything, just my opinion.

for me nirvana is overrated, i never really connected with them when listening to their music, but that is why people are different :D.

It's ok in small doses , but if i listen to much of it
i get a depressed feeling

I think If Nirvana didn't have the track "smells like teen spirit" and especially the video that went with it, they would have sailed away in the background and quite possibly never made it out of Seattle. I was a huge fan too, but that could never have happened if I didn't see that video on the TV one Sunday morning in 1991.

Back