Joy Division

Hello everyone! So, Joy Division. Before I start, I'm going to STRONGLY suggest you all listen to them. The music is great, original and extremely influential.
But, the reason I started this thread is because I'm finding it difficult to find bands similar to Joy Division. I find that no other Post-Punk band sounds like them. So, if anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated!

If you check out the Smashing Pumkins psycho tapes (late 80's) before they had a deal, you can hear the Joy Division influence in the way Corgan made his music.

obviously new order's stuff, though bernard had a very different voice.

im weird in that i much prefer new order's sound over joy divisions.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is a great song, but that's about it. I'm not a fan of that style or The Smiths either. I MUCH prefer New Order.

Lost my virginity during Unknown Pleasures. Check out the Warsaw recordings as well. I got a bootleg vinyl of it and it's raw as anything you'll ever hear. Much more punk.

You might be able to compare Bauhaus to Joy Division

Fan of Joy Division here. When I was whoring out Unknown Pleasures, I was pretty much an emo kid who thought he was Ian Curtis.

Wow.. funny thing, I was just going through my old New Order stuff the other day.

I don't listen to much of today's music, so I can't really help you.

Hello everyone! So, Joy Division. Before I start, I'm going to STRONGLY suggest you all listen to them. The music is great, original and extremely influential.
But, the reason I started this thread is because I'm finding it difficult to find bands similar to Joy Division. I find that no other Post-Punk band sounds like them. So, if anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated!

i have unknown pleasures, substance, and closer... i even have some warsaw singles somewhere collecting dust...

for similar stuff maybe check out really old ultravox (like circa 1977)

Joy division are the leaders of the post punk movement. Check out the film " 24/7 party people " in order to understand why they were important and what era did they come in.

Last edited:
Joy Division was important in the sense that they redefined relationships between instruments within a rock band format. The guitar was pulled back to be more even with the bass and drums. Their bass ( Peter Hook) played his bass an octave higher than what was the norm at the time, giving it more of a lead instrument position. The drums were more mathematical and precise like a drum machine and the guitar in some space between rhythm and lead. This may sound all "meh" now..but in 1979, this was quite radical..now you have a huge number of artist ranging from U2 to NIN name checking JD as a crucial influence.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

The Ian Curtis biopic "Control" is good as well.

Back