Heavy Metal Album Weekly Review, Week 5

Ddream

Hello there, fellow headbangers! This week's album is from one of the best industrial metal bands out there, and possibly an influence to all the industrial metal scene. Here's Fear Factory's "Obsolete"!

Band: Fear Factory
Album: Obsolete
Obsoletespecial.jpg
Year of release: 1998
Sub-genre: industrial metal
Rating: 5/5

Who are they? Fear Factory was formed in 1989 by guitarist Dino Cazares and drummer Raymond Herrera, with the addition of vocalist Burton C. Bell not long after. Starting out as a death metal band, specially on their first two albums "Concrete" and "Soul of a new Machine", and shifting to a more industrial style on later albums. Herrera is credited as creating the "machine gun" style of drums, which became the main characteristic of Fear Factory's sound. The band released 8 studio albuns throughout it's existence, and had drawn some attention when they have split-up 2002 because of animosities between Cazares and Bell, which was followed by a dispute by who owned the rights to use the name "Fear Factory". Nowadays, the band have only Cazares and Bell as founding members, and plan on releasing a new abum by august 2014.

Album Review: Obsolete follows the theme of previous album "Demanufacture" (considered the band's best album by some), in which the clashing of humans and machines as the central theme. It's a concept album which follows the story of "Edgecrusher", a human who is incarcerated, but after escaping prison, plans on destroying the machine society which has put humanity into opression. Concept apart, the album is very well structured, and more "melodic" in comparison to it's predecessor "Demanufacture". The drums are superb, accompanying very well both the fast riffing guitars by Cazares and heavy bass guitar by Christian Olde Wolbers. Burton's vocals are sometimes agressive, with a death metal feel to them, sometimes very melodic, contributing to the anguish felt by the main character. Even though I advice to listen to the full album, to get a hang on the story behind it, the highlights are the songs "Shock", "Edgecrusher", "Securitron (Police State 2000)", "Descent" and "Ressurection". If you get the reissue of the album with the extra songs, the cover of Gary Numan's "Cars" is one of the best, too.

Where to buy? here

Stay tuned!

No problem, man...no rush. Liking the reviews. You like Cannabis Corpse?

Haha, I think you mean Cannibal Corpse? If so, yeah, I do like them! But I'm more into the technical aspect of the death metal, with bands like Krisiun and Pestilence.

Haha, I think you mean Cannibal Corpse? If so, yeah, I do like them! But I'm more into the technical aspect of the death metal, with bands like Krisiun and Pestilence.
Naaah, Cannabis Corpse...lol. I said the same thing you did when my coworker told me about them.

LOL @ the Metalhead Dating banner ad below my comment.

Last edited:
Naaah, Cannabis Corpse...lol. I said the same thing you did when my coworker told me about them.

LOL @ the Metalhead Dating banner ad below my comment.

Holy Cr**! They really exist! Haha, nice one, man. I'll listen to some of their tunes later today!

Heavy Metal Album Weekly Review Week 5

Id like to feature this in Metal Month II if possible. Just list your top ten metal albums --- of any/every subgenre --- in order from ten to one. If you want to write a little about why theyre so good youre welcome, but all I really want is a list so I can tabulate, add up and see what are considered overall the top ten Heavy Metal albums of all time. Ill then review them next month in reverse order.

Okay .... Go

Id like to feature this in Metal Month II if possible. Just list your top ten metal albums --- of any/every subgenre --- in order from ten to one. If you want to write a little about why theyre so good youre welcome, but all I really want is a list so I can tabulate, add up and see what are considered overall the top ten Heavy Metal albums of all time. Ill then review them next month in reverse order.

Okay .... Go

Top 10:

1 - Metallica - Master of Puppets
2 - Rammstein - Mutter
3 - Cradle of Filth - Bitter Suites to Succubi
4 - Burzum - Filosofem
5 - Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darknes Triumphant
6 - Mayhem - Live in Leipzig
7 - Fear Factory - Demanufacture
8 - Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
9 - Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
10 - Immortal - At the Heart of Winter