Drum machine for METAL band?

RapAttack

The main influences of the project/band are: metal, rap and folk.

Starting from the idea that I don't have a drummer (and neither a bassist) and I don't want to use a computer for this (I've been making rap beats for years, using software (Reason) and midi controller(s)), I want to use a drum machine for the drums. And even for the bass.
Although, real guitars (rhythm & lead) will be used, of course :D

So this thread is about getting the drum sound as close as possible to a real/metal one; I also have to keep count of the bass part, which I'm also planning to program on the machine.

I have an Akai XR-20. It's not the best thing for acoustic/metal sounds, but I found a few drum hits that sound pretty good. And even a few bass sounds that seem to be suitable for metal (slap bass, pick bass, electric bass etc), even though I'm not an expert to classify/rate them.

Now, there are small chances to find people that have some knowledge both about the XR-20 and metal music :) But some opinions would be welcome.

Do you think that it's worth it to buy another drum machine for this? If so, which one do you recommend? Basically my budget is around $200-$300 (max), but I can eventually allocate more if the machine can do more than drums and bass (like other instruments, samples, bringing sounds from the outside digitally through a USB connection etc).

The first options would be Alesis SR-16 (older "version") and Alesis SR-18 (newer one).
I know that Alesis SR-18 is very similar to XR-20. The menu is the same but SR-18 has more acoustic and rock/metal kits. How many and how good they really are, I have no idea...

As far as I researched, Alesis SR-16 is used by a lot of metal musicians.
Which one would you recommend between SR-18 and SR-16? Speaking of drum sounds, bass sounds, pads (feel, responsiveness, sensitivity, velocity), workflow...

So, Akai XR-20 vs Alesis SR 16/18
and
Alesis SR-16 vs Alesis SR-18.

Thanks.

PS: I also found a good offer for a Boss Dr 670.

I think you don't need a new hardware when you have vsts like EZ Drummer. Some very quality sounds there, and also fully functional for any genre, including metal.

On the other hand, care to make a list of bands/rappers that influence this project?

Yes, that would be a solution, but I don't want to use virtual instruments, I'm tired of doing it. I want it to be more raw and "live".

I want it to sound as realistic as possible. It's a metal project that will sound the way I want it to sound. It's more than just a fusion or an alternative, nu-metal or rap-metal act.

That's why it's hard to name 2-3 relevant influences from other bands. There are a lot of them, from hardcore and heavy metal to thrash metal, folk metal (especially) and even black metal.

So, back to the drum machine issue.
I also know about many metal bands that use(d) a drum machine. Bathory on the Nordland albums, Vintersorg, Samael, Pro-Pain (hardcore/metal - see "Contents Under Pressure" album) - just some examples that come into my mind now.

I'm almost sure that I'll buy a second-hand Boss Dr 670. If not, I'm handling it with my XR-20 for now.

I play live with canned tracks from a phone or looper, and my kit is almost always a 505. That's personal prefrence though. Maybe you could look at what Justin Broadrick currently uses for Godflesh.

I think using a drum machine in any rock style band can be super cool, maybe not as a full time deal, but for certain songs it can really give your band a unique vibe depending on how bizarre you make it!

Back