anyone into progressive metal/metalcore?

Stuff like Northlane, Erra, Periphery, Monuments.

Really interesting lyrical and musical content IMO.

can't post links yet, but check out Northlane - Dream awake, Northlane - Dispossession, or Erra - Dementia

I belong to that rare species that actually don't like the common (imo) overusage of growls (I like it more as that spice every now and then in some tracks) ;)

Anyway, I'm personally more into the lighter and slightly more modern progressive rock/metal (meaning not super prog, at least compared to my brother's taste), such as Tool, Soen, Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster, and Porcupine Tree, etc.

Check out Tool - Schism, Tool - Vicarious, TNBD - Exegesis, Soen - Delenda :D

Ok, let's see: the word PROG + the word METAL, two posts and no one said DREAM THEATER.

The best prog metal band, hands down. Although I prefer their older albums (When Dream and Day Unite, Awake, and Image and Words), all of their career albums are pretty good.

You need to check out some of their parallel projects like Transatlantic and the solo albums from John Petrucci and Jordan Ruddess (including the one they play together, called "An Evening with Petrucci and Rudess" or something like that).

Besides DT, I also like Symphony X, specially their albums "V-The New Mythology Suite" and "Paradise Lost".

The power metal band Blind Guardian have changed a little their style to a more "prog metal" sound in their album "At the Edge of Time", worth checking this out as well.

If you're more into the extreme metal style thing, I advice you to listen to Pestilence's "Resurrection Macabre" album, where they mix death metal with some jazz passages.

Last edited:
yeah, dream theater is amazing! I agree that their older albums are better also, I love metropolis 2 - scenes from a memory. I never checked out the side projects though so Ill definitely do that now.

yeah, dream theater is amazing! I agree that their older albums are better also, I love metropolis 2 - scenes from a memory. I never checked out the side projects though so Ill definitely do that now.
DO IT! But be aware that they are MUCH MORE experimental and progressive than DT itself. Specially Transatlantic.

So let me present my band DERIVATE, it is progressive in a special way as we used a special composition technique to write it. There is never twice the same riffs in over 30 minutes of music. The EP is split in five songs but should be listened to in one go as it has been composed that way. There even is a philosophical paper to defend the composition technique.

Check our the official page here >> derivate.blackbearagency.ch/index.php please share with your prog liking friends, we are not many but we are the people who look for diversity in the music we listen! Diversity which tends to disappear with the music industry's brainwashing music!

Cheers !!!

PS: I'm not allowed to post links. Google is your friends although not ours, we are not really well indexed for now... so good luck finding us :P check facebook and soundcloud

So let me present my band DERIVATE, it is progressive in a special way as we used a special composition technique to write it. There is never twice the same riffs in over 30 minutes of music. The EP is split in five songs but should be listened to in one go as it has been composed that way. There even is a philosophical paper to defend the composition technique.

Check our the official page here >> derivate.blackbearagency.ch/index.php please share with your prog liking friends, we are not many but we are the people who look for diversity in the music we listen! Diversity which tends to disappear with the music industry's brainwashing music!

Cheers !!!

PS: I'm not allowed to post links. Google is your friends although not ours, we are not really well indexed for now... so good luck finding us :P check facebook and soundcloud
What are the influences of the band? I visited the site, read the bio and all, but couldn't listen yet. I wanna know what to expect, more or less.

What are the influences of the band? I visited the site, read the bio and all, but couldn't listen yet. I wanna know what to expect, more or less.

Main influences are Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Mastodon, Protest the Hero. I hope it helps :D soundcloud here > soundcloud.com/derivate

Back