What do you consider the classics of the electronic genre?

busystarter

When I say "electronic genre" I mean all kinds... techno, trance, house, electro and all sub genres under these.

It's important to know these as they are the "canon" of all electronic music so, in turn, will be what fans will compare you to when you come out with a new track.

canon
noun
-A generally accepted principle.
"The trial must proceed according to the canons of law."
-A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.
"the durable canon of American short fiction" — William Styron

Last edited:
That's a good question and a difficult one.

Most of the really famous and univerally acclaimed dance artists (daft punk, aphex twin, massive attack etc) have either their own unique sound or borrow influences from other genres. The archetypal sound for the genre as a whole is more elusive.

Here are a few that spring to mind:
From the 80's/90's:
YouTube - Phuture - Acid Trax
YouTube - Faithless - Insommnia
YouTube - The Helicopter Tune

More recent:
YouTube - Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
YouTube - Deadmau5 - Strobe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYcHz2k5x0 - Martin Garrix - Animals

My general musical knowledge is terrible, can someone else jump in and do 80s/90s/2000s/2010s I know there are better examples

Hey whatsup scrapheaper? The fact that the archetypes of different genres are elusive as a subject is very true and basically why I made this topic. I want to see what people are listening to, a view of "old but new" stuff in one good topic.

Those 80s/90s tracks I've never heard before I'm gonna bump them on my woofer ;) As for the Skrillex track, I've heard that one, I would have strange suspicions of anyone who hasn't LOL. He changed the game for dubstep with the advent of the drop and all the wub you hear these days. Deadmau5 I'm familiar with, haven't heard that particular track... Martin Garrix, heard of him but again that track is new to me.

I'm gonna edit the main post with some legit classics from a bunch of electronic genres since you can't readily identify them. Check back in a bit.

EDIT: It won't let me edit the first post. Bummer.

Last edited:
the most classic type of electronic music has to be ambient. kraftwerk and tangerine dream were messing around with sounds in the 70s & 80s that are ambient. I think the next one would have to be electro.

The introduction for me must have been Mike Oldfield, all the way to 2000. With that im referring to the electronic tracks. :P
Except that, I would have to agree to the other posts. ^^

Back