in what direction is EDM headed?

hmmm...not sure, I actually kind of think "edm" (the word lol) is dying out. If there is anything still like EDM, it's deep house right now. But honestly, Hip Hop and Electronic is starting to fuse into the new popular music.

EDM...could be moving into trance sure, but maybe house too? Deep house? I would say deep house. I can hear a lot of deep house references in some new music, with new spacey melodies and stuff.

Last edited:
Interesting take, I noticed as well. Some EDM festival concert goers I spoke with mentioned it all sounds the same. I'm not sure if it's getting stale but to me there's nothing like a real rock show. Pre-recorded music should NOT be called "live", perhaps the "concert" part is OK. Or just call it a "light show" since it's really more about lighting and effect and DJs.

Last edited:
EDM?? Don't know... that's that commercial radio shit with lots of vocals... that's going nowhere.. it'll fade out of popularity, fade back in and it'll be the same shitty hoovers and plastic vocals for the 'discerning' 16 year old who just discovered XTC. As long as XTC is being made, shitty trance will have it's place... haha..

The underground is heading even further away from all that prepackaged sample pack hype shit. It's going back to it's roots..
You already have this huge revival in raw warehouse sounds, early rave. Illegal rave shit. Hardcore is even coming back as this super evil fusion of everything dark and hard that happened since 1995. Straight up techno is doing better than ever. Berlin is still Berlin, Detroit still Detroit. On the other side, people are looking for warm, pleasant sounds.. happy place music like deep house and such. Genres don't really mean that much anymore..

Overall you see that a kid with a beat on a laptop is no longer impressive. Audiences are looking for better experiences, interesting live shows, interesting hardware, interactivity, shows involving visuals, actual musicianship.. etc..

Back