Thread: Too many sub genres!

Thanks

Too many sub genres!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Whats up guys?

Long story short I'm a producer first transitioning into DJ'ing.

I came from making trap (rap) beats and used to hate on EDM, but I'm finding out that I like certain genres. And for a "party" dancing time what more could you ask for than some high fidelity synths and bass on a 4/4 beat?

Anyway, how did you guys become knowledgeable in the different genres of EDM? How can you hear a song and go oh that's "minimal" that's "progressive" "deep house" big room, etc etc. ?

I realized that when I got into trying to make beats and sell them for money, and I started to really study the hip hop industry, it made me hate music or something. I just stopped listening. I have a lot to learn about DJ'ing and I'm hoping in the search for what I determine to be spin-able tracks I can rediscover a nice love for music...or something.

Thanks
    After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months
    That's the idea I was getting. It's really all the same. Maybe one genre has a few specific synths that are go-to sounds. Future house has that wobbly, modulated saw type chord synth and pluck bass a lot--etc.

Then it's the structure of the tracks.

Thanks
    Most subgenres are just marketing ploys.
    Your label sounds a whole lot more relevant to some people if you can claim to be the home/inventor of 'future-whatever' and not be the millionth regular old house label.
    Also if you push hard enough, you might even get Beatport and such to open up an entirely new genre chart, just for your little 'genre'.
    lwj - local space music

Thread Information