Thread: Too many sub genres!

Thanks

Too many sub genres!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Whats up guys?

Long story short I'm a producer first transitioning into DJ'ing.

I came from making trap (rap) beats and used to hate on EDM, but I'm finding out that I like certain genres. And for a "party" dancing time what more could you ask for than some high fidelity synths and bass on a 4/4 beat?

Anyway, how did you guys become knowledgeable in the different genres of EDM? How can you hear a song and go oh that's "minimal" that's "progressive" "deep house" big room, etc etc. ?

I realized that when I got into trying to make beats and sell them for money, and I started to really study the hip hop industry, it made me hate music or something. I just stopped listening. I have a lot to learn about DJ'ing and I'm hoping in the search for what I determine to be spin-able tracks I can rediscover a nice love for music...or something.

Thanks
    After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    After a while you realize that with really specific sub-genres actually do all sound the same. Listen to a 'future bass' mix or a 'progressive house' mix and there are lots of things in common between the tracks.

It's not that hard to listen to a mix if you want to learn more about what a genre is, after a short while. If you listened to one mix a week you'd have great knowledge within a few months
    That's the idea I was getting. It's really all the same. Maybe one genre has a few specific synths that are go-to sounds. Future house has that wobbly, modulated saw type chord synth and pluck bass a lot--etc.

Then it's the structure of the tracks.

Thread Information