Skrillex - Recess

scrapheaper

What are your opinions?

Personally I'm quite liking the new, more experimental sound. Sonny seems to have realized that the world doesn't need any more vowelly bass atm, and is doing something a bit different to change things up a bit.

What are your opinions?

Personally I'm quite liking the new, more experimental sound. Sonny seems to have realized that the world doesn't need any more vowelly bass atm, and is doing something a bit different to change things up a bit.

To be honest, I didn't listen to all of it, but I think the same old Skrillex is present there. I think that's I'm just growing tired of this electro-influenced stuff that's coming out nowadays. I may listen to the full thing and then say something different, but I really doubt it.

I think he's killing it! As soon as i head he was changing things up a bit for his new album i was intreeged and I'm definitely happy with what he's done

To be honest, I didn't listen to all of it, but I think the same old Skrillex is present there. I think that's I'm just growing tired of this electro-influenced stuff that's coming out nowadays. I may listen to the full thing and then say something different, but I really doubt it.

About half of it is a little same old, same old.
I am quite liking **** that + stranger.

Doomy poomp and dirty vibe are very warp records kind of sound, which I kinda like but I'm can forgive those who don't.

Last edited:
He's moved to a more dance influenced sound, which I like.

His older stuff is okay, I like scary monsters and kill everbody and all that stuff, but he would always just overkill it with ear-grinding noise.

All is fair in love and brostep and the song recess are very nice. He is making better music I guess is what I'm saying. As in becoming better and more skilled at it...

He sold out.
Really.... I thought this was more 'out there' than his other EPs/albums. Not really one 4Dcrowd so much, more of a 'let's see if I can get respect from warp records' kinda deal.

From his music and also from interviews and stuff, I think skrillex definitely wants praise from someone like aphex twin or squarepusher. He's trying to establish himself as a 'real' artist, not just the guy who does BOOOOOOM wub wub skreeaeeeemm skreaeeeeeem lol etc.

Last edited:
Liked most of his stuff up until now, Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites EP was really nice, Bangarang EP was almost as good but this "Recess" trash is awful...

I don't know what it is, I just really can't get into it... Seems like he sold out and just hopped on the band wagon :/

Like his more melodic sounding stuff, like Long Drive (With You Friends) and Summit but this new shit is just horrific. Wtf was he smoking when he made Stranger or Doompy Poomp wtf is that shit. D:

Haha, I just love the track Strangers, I really like that glitchy and annoying highpitched saw sound!
But I like it even more because I got so surprised when I heard an oldschool Reggae effect common in dub-reggae from the 70's when I listened to it the first time. :D

not gonna lie I thought it was garbage, and I only listened to it a few times becuase it just became to ehhh for me

I think he peaked back in 2011 in terms of creativity. He should do an album solely produced by him, no collaborations.

As far as Skrillex goes, this release as a whole is far from my favorite...there are some good standouts though, like Dirty Vibe, one of his best songs in years...nothing compares though to the My Name is Skrillex EP, which is by far, his best release...

Love the strange intro sound. not sure about the guitar tho. kind of spoils the mood

hahah hang on i was listening to the guy who posted the track

Sweet production anyway ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back