Self-esteem?

KOBB3NOBSCURA

How do you cope with you'r self-esteem when it comes to you'r music? When I started out, I was fragile as h*ll :D
Everyone else was sooo god... and I sucked to high heaven. Turned out the problem was that I compared myself to
million dollar producers, and it sure didn't make me a happy camper :P
But I carried out,
Nowadays I really don't care. I produce music to feel good :sing:
Still, I'm curious: How do YOU deal with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilPcIBAYs_o

Last edited:
It's difficult it depends on circumstance really, I have had many self-esteem lows when it comes to producing music, and I've always bounced back from this however my latest low resulting in me not producing any music from approximately October last year until two weeks ago.

Fortunately for me, I do a lot of electronic music promotion and run a DJ mix series, I'm surrounded by people who are really good at producing and where able to gee me up and get me going again, I'm now producing the best music I've ever made, after 14 years of producing sub standard music, in terms of mixing and mastering quality, I feel like I'm finally heading in the right direction.

From my personal experience (and it's not always easy), try not only to focus on producing music, focus some energy on connecting with other artists and like minded people, some of these people will become friends if you give them enough time, they will also more than likely give you tips and feedback to get better. It can feel lonely at times, especially if you produce on your own.

If you're passionate about music, focus your energy on other music related projects, create your own projects, get other people involved, it takes time but you can develop a great support base for you to learn, feel comfortable, get better and most of all, regain the belief and confidence in your own music!

It comes down to experience for me. Just knowing that I'm doing *something* to improve is usually enough - then once you do actually improve, it's way easier! :D

I still get down on my own stuff even after years. Like if my song gets played on the radio I still react negatively to it :) I guess youre never truly happy with your material!

Music production should be the same as life in general. Have no fear, be free, express yourself and don't give a f..k about what other people say ;)

That way you give yourself the best chance at being successful in music and life :p

Yeah I do have a very tough time with receiving feedback. I think you need to develop a little bit of pride on producing/making music, because it simply is just like any other interest that people enjoy. If you happen to make one song that someone likes, then that is simply good enough.

As a Christian Electronica Producer I make music for spreading love. And it is a fun hobby. My intentions are not being the BIG ONE of the world. Just to do what I love. I don't need success to make music, I enjoy making music about the non-condemning love of Christ.

Back