Risers have become cliché

A lot of the time people don't seem to have any ideas about how to create tension apart from the old standards of white noise and kick kick kick kick kikiikikikikkkkkkkkkkkkk etc

Some artists do seem to have better ideas but mostly people seem to be focusing on making sik basses instead

Last edited:
I feel kinda tired of always hearing a riser in every electronic music i listen to.
What do you think?
Is it over used?

Yes it is I think. And many other things, like yes - and snares too. And im wondering why everyone keep making them? I'm glad I know better pop (than some that I heard).

Last edited:
Well eventually you start to reach a wall in terms of what you can do creatively with music. I think we are nearing that point lol

Well eventually you start to reach a wall in terms of what you can do creatively with music. I think we are nearing that point lol
Not to plug myself too strongly but I've been experimenting with other styles of builds and I think there's a lot of room for new ideas that a lot of producers haven't caught onto yet. (PM me and i'll send you some links)

The ideas are there but no-one's thought of them yet because they're all focusing on making new drops instead

You know to be honest I'm not a big fan of long build ups with risers, but I do put it in my stuff to somewhat follow the format. But I'm hoping the trend will die down but I know it's not lol.

Interesting thread. Awesome concept.

Glad to hear from more than one listener that they are tired of the rises, but I think the non-producer fans are still eating it up. Then again I'm really not sure and not all too connected to that unfortunately.

I've just recently got into producing EDM and I'm definitely late to the party. But I'm definitely going to start building tension in some creative ways that are different. You might have given away the secret to something fresh and new!

Absolutely - but being original and innovative is more of a challenge today than ever before, so as long as it's used well it doesn't bother me too much.

noooo way. The wall was almost there with conventional instruments, ...but now with computers, that wall just moved way way out there past mars.

I do somewhat agree but I think certain genres do kind of need it. Dubstep for instance, the riser really helps contrast the intro to the drop. Without it, you wouldn't really get the desired effect. I guess its about using different risers and trying to keep it sounding a bit fresh.

Risers just go with certain styles.. They come and go, lol. I've grown bored of them, and those styles a long time ago, they're too often a cheap way of generating excitement where there is none.
As I get older I find I prefer music and mixes that can build throughout, flip atmospheres instead of just straight going for the gutpunch constantly.
If you play that in a long mix, it's really boring..you're not taking the audience anywhere, just pummeling them with electronic trickery.

Then again, that's me. I'm oldschool. if you do like em, go wild!

Riders are here to stay. Just put your own twist on it and please, all producers, stop making them so long.

Yeah, risers are def cliche, just like drums, and acoustic guitars.

Bad comparison.
A "riser" is a percussive and tonic crescendo movement within a song, mostly used by electronic musicians. Drums and acoustic guitars are versatile musical instruments used for many different genres. Very different things.

Back