Psytrance help

D

DrunkMotherTest

I used to be mainly into glitch and industrial, but recently got bitten by the psytrance bug after watching a couple of documentaries about the genre online whilst looking for a way to get something of the 60s/70s psychedelic era style and philosophy into my EDM.

anyway, i don't know anyone who even likes psytrance so i'm having trouble getting feedback on my tracks.

My question is, am i doing it right?

if not, where am i going wrong? what could i improve, and what should i listen to for inspiration?

I want to make hippies freak out :cool:

(ps. i mixed these tracks on some shitty speakers, so the EQs probably all off and wiggy i'm getting some better ones soon)

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like you somewhat understood the concept, but not quite capturing the essence of Psy-Trance.
I love Psy-Trance and I feel like these tracks would've been so much more enjoyable if they had been mixed in a different way. You want that deep monotone bassline constantly with the atmosphere surrounding it. Now I felt like those core elements were shadowed by the other sounds in the track.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually like your style, I don't like those overly hectic and noisy psy trance tracks that most people in that genre seem to produce, and if there were more people making the more atmospheric psy trance that you seem to be going for, I would be much happier!

So keep at it!

Last edited:
Thanks that's very helpful :)
do you mean to say that the arps/leads etc were to loud in the mix compared to the bass and drums?
or that the way the track was arranged in terms of when what was brought in when needs some work?
or both?
could you direct me to some example tracks?

I like the intro on the first track. Bassline is too boomy and the drums are simply not "kicking". Kick & Bass are the foundations of Psytrance.

Hmmmm, to illustrate it, because your sound is a bit too outdated (sounds like 1998-1999 sound), here something inbetween, from 2004.

Listen to the album and you might learn a thing or two. :) And listen to it loud and with a lot of bass ;)

anything infected mushroom do is gold imo, they are by far my favourite producers of electronic music

Been watching their studio blogs on youtube lately as ive just started making psytrance and there very helpful. They seem very laid back and willing to show exactly what their doing which is a great help to new producers like me and the OP here

" .....AMAZING!! " :D

Thanks for all your help... It's likely that my sound it a bit old fashioned, as my knowledge of psytrance is limited to what playlists people have made on youtube and 8tracks, and i haven't paid attention to the date. also as i was a glitch/industrial fan which means 90s music really, its quite possible that i'm bringing subconscious influences from that era.

it strikes me that infected mushroom use a lot of what i would consider Dubstep inspired synths and sounds, to the extent that to my untrained ear i had dismissed them as a tool to learn psytrance because they sounded like a trance-dubstep hybrid to me (not that i thought they didn't sound awesome, somewhat like Ohgr in places).

that video of them in the studio was inspiring though, will be watching more of that.

here's my attempt at doing something based on your feedback let me know what you think:

Back