Progressive house? Which is the real one?

bschaefer

Hey guys

I was wondering
Which kind of progressive house is the real one?
I mean, just go to the beatport, search for progressive house and listen to the top 10.
These mainstream producers like Hardwell, martin garrix, axwell, avicii or whatever (they sound exactly the same from each other), do what people call progressive house.
Like what's in this mix:

Then, listen to this style of progressive house:

Just compare a progressive song from top dj's like hardwell, and a progressive song from deadmau5
It's so different from each other, souldn't be two different sub-genres?

One have those annoying mainstream trance leads. They all sound the same in every song
The other have more stabs, and chilled soundscapes.

Its just too hard to search for new artists, when all I found is this kind of mainstream prog.

I think the last thing we need is another sub genre haha... I truly don't know what music I release anymore; cause there's too many of the damn things!

In reality though; I'd pick an artist you like - see what labels they're on; and then search (or subscribe) to those artists and labels... Or do what I do: Just ask your DJ friends for recommendations and let them do all the work ;)

That first one is awful and in no way progressive house. The thing with beat port is it allows crap producers who make tracks in 5 minutes using loops and repetitive stabs, and they call it all sorts.

Best port has been very detrimental to the house scene

I remember in the past some other entirely differnent style of house that was mostly percussion and it was called "progressive house". It hardly had any synths at all. It was extremely boring, but it was progressive because every 16 beats something would be added in to the progression or dropped out.

I think these days too many people are making up their own rules about genres and a lot of historical reconstructionism is going on in a bad way. Anybody with a web connection can participate. That's not necessarily a good thing anymore.

I think these days too many people are making up their own rules about genres

Yeah - possibly / kind of; but the genres are forced upon us too… I never know what sort of music I'm writing (or at least didn't), but when it's released the labels will call it "Tech House" or "Techno"; or deep; progressive etc… I guess these day's I say I write Tech House to avoid unnecessary discussions...

To me - every track is simply a tune that I wrote and explored - and I think THAT is a good thing (not being stuck in rules of a genre)… Sure - they do follow some basic arrangement rules for DJ's, but you know what I mean...

If I had my way, and contradicting my first post, I'd say I wrote "Progressive Ambient Tech House"… Hmmm.. That spells "path"...

Actually - that's kinda cool ---> "I write "PATH" music"…….

Back