Please vote for me in John Digweed's DJ Mix Competition

darin epsilon

Hello boys and girls!

I have officially entered John Digweed's Structures Two DJ Mix Competition and need your help in order to become a finalist! For those of you who have enjoyed my Perspectives radio show and podcast, which I have offered FREE OF CHARGE for the past four and a half years, I would really appreciate a moment of your time.

The Top 20% with the most “favorites” and “plays” will advance to the final round of judging. From then entries will be judged by a panel from Bedrock on factors including (but not limited to):
- Positive feedback
- Creativity
- Technical ability

The winner will have his or her mix aired on John’s massively popular Transitions radio show and be interviewed by the man himself, plus tons of other cool prizes.

1. Visit bit.ly/darin_epsilon_bedrock_contest
2. Click the Play button
3. Add the mix to your Favorites

Voting ends 11:59pm MST, July 11, 2011.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Tracklisting

01. Anthony Pappa & King Unique - Vamoosh (King Unique Kosmische Mix) (Intro)
02. King Roc & Dimitri Nakov - Jardin Nights (From Paris & Berlin Mix) (DE Competition Edit) [119 BPM]
03. Misstress Barbara & H.O.S.H. - Finally Mine (Gorge Remix) (DE Competition Edit) [123 BPM]
04. Dibby Dougherty & David Young - Tiger Forest (Ryan Davis Rework) (DE Competition Edit) [124 BPM]
05. Jimmy Van M & Steve T. - We Are Children (Original Mix) [125 BPM] / Tom Hades - Come On (Ride) / Oliver Lieb - Parallex (Melody FX)
06. John Digweed & Nick Muir - Bilder (King Unique Rebild Mix) (DE Competition Edit) [127 BPM] / Kruse & Nuernberg - My Real Name Is (Reprise) (FX)
07. Timo Maas - Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit) (DE Competition Edit) [126 BPM]
08. Lewis Ryder - Kaffee-Monster Schief Gegangen (Nathan Coles & David Coker's Spanish Fly Mix) [122 BPM]
09. Clement Meyer - Piece By Piece (Maetrik Remix) (DE Competition Edit) [125 BPM]
10. King Unique - 2000000 Suns (KU Heat Death Of The Universe Mix) (DE Competition Edit)

The purpose of this mix is two-fold: to provide an enjoyable musical journey for the audience and to impress the hell out of the judges. To do this, I chose only the best tracks from Structures Two, and ones that were related in harmony, choice of sounds, texture, and mood. Below is a track-by-track analysis of my competition entry...

00:00 - We begin with the King Unique Kosmische Mix of Vamoosh by Anthony Pappa & King Unique. The ping pong delay is set to 50% to create a spacey atmosphere, and to avoid sounding the same if someone else chose the same intro.

00:30 - The absolutely sublime From Paris To Berlin Mix of Jardin Nights by King Roc & Dimitri Nakov [119 BPM] begins.

01:47 - Misstress Barbara & H.O.S.H. Finally Mine (Gorge Remix) [123 BPM] enters the mix.

04:29 - Dibby Dougherty & David Young Tiger Forest (Ryan Davis Rework) [124 BPM] starts creeping in. The hi hats and clap from the previous track are looping throughout Tiger Forest to keep the energy flowing.

08:59 - Jimmy Van M & Steve T. We Are Children [125 BPM] begins. I felt this track could have used more hi hats, so I've taken the ride cymbal from Tom Hades Come On and kept it looping throughout the entire production.

12:27 - Oliver Lieb Parallex (Melody FX) is layered on top. It sounds great together with the vocals and strings in the breakdown.

13:43 - John Digweed & Nick Muir Bilder (King Unique Rebild Mix) [127 BPM] enters. Of course we have to include this one as it's arguably one of the strongest selections in Structures Two! Plus, gotta pay homage to Bedrock. No, but actually there is another reason why. Up until now, we have been using tracks in the key of D minor. It would be terribly boring to have an entire mix in D minor, wouldn't it? Luckily, Bilder is in the similarly related key of G minor, which allows for an ultra-smooth and seamless blend.

18:40 - We hear Kruse & Nuernberg My Real Name Is (Reprise) being sampled in the breakdown of Bilder

20:58 - Timo Maas Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit) [126 BPM] kicks in.

22:14 - Lewis Ryder Kaffee-Monster Schief Gegangen (Nathan Coles & David Coker's Spanish Fly Mix) [122 BPM] begins. The last 10 minutes of the mix are much different than how we began. Now we are dealing with mainly percussive tracks that are less harmonically complex. The music becomes faster-paced and the energy continues to build.

24:15 - This is where things begin to get really interesting. Clement Meyer Piece By Piece (Maetrik Remix) is an atonal piece with hints of E minor towards the end. The Lewis Ryder track preceding it is in B flat minor, so the root notes from both songs playing together creates a rather strong dissonance. Specifically, it is a tritone relationship, which normally sounds horrible but is actually considered stylish these days.

26:09 - The percussion from Timo Maas Kick 1 Kick 3 (Maetrik Sexy Remix Edit) is looping in the background.

27:55 - King Unique 2000000 Suns (KU Heat Death Of The Universe Mix) fades in. The music crescendoes into an intense climax before the set finally winds down. Notice how I begin and end with King Unique for continuity.

Click Here to vote for me now! Simply press Play and add to your Favorites if you enjoy the mix.

Back