The next big EDM genre/ sound?

I agree. "EDM" will fade away as the lines between "traditional" productions and "In the box" productions blur. Gone are the days when your average person could tell a synthesized instrument from a real one.

For example guitarists have always had that audio snobbery attitude but even they are starting to jump ship, what with the quality of amp modelling software.

As far as EDM itself is concerned, I am noticing alot of interest in additive synthesis. Just as subtractive got pushed aside for FM recently just for it to settle down off its overuse. Not that additive or FM are new things (1843 the math of additive was applied to sound) it's just that the tools to work with are getting easier to use for those of us without a phd. Harmor for example is additive synthesis presented in a way thats familiar to people that have got the grips with subtractive.

So whatever the new "sound" of edm will be, Im making a confident bet it will be discovered when an indusry leader cracks the additive nut. In the same way that Skrillex (forgive me) broke FM wide open.

By the way, does anyone here talk about re-synthesis?

People seem to be raving over stuff that doesn't really fit into the confines of most EDM genres nowadays, but i'd say it's loosely influenced by trap. At least under the surface. People that are just interested in festivals and drugs and raving are still all about house it seems.

The brostep/trap hybrid shit will rule for the next year or so, and make me want to murder everyone <25 years old.

i think a low of people just said it: deep house. robin schulz and co. will rule the music charts all over the world for a few years, maybe 1,2,3 years..

I think in the future, music style like Oliver Heldens, Robin Schulz, Felix Jaehn will dominate the music industry. Because every genre of music has era.

Last edited:
Whatever style Disclosure will come out with on their next album will probably take over

I think you're right. Their new album is dope. There's so many good songs on their new album, from Holding On, to Omen, to Moving Mountains.

I don't know how long their type of music has been on the comeback, but they definitely have me interested. I never go to clubs or get out much enough to know what the dance music scene sounds like today. I haven't even heard much of that sound on terrestrial radio, but I know Apple's Beats1 plays a good mix of it from time to time. That's how I got put on to it. reminds me of the soulful 90s dance music.

Last edited:
I thought rappers over house tracks was going to take off but it hasn't yet, despite Flo Rida keeping at it

Right now it's the tropical and the Oliver Heldens/Tchami style future house. In the near future I'm seeing trap music for sure becoming huge, especially since its elements are starting to creep into mainstream radio music just like tropical and future house did.

I'm hoping Jungleterror and 'Exotic' Big Room House in general could hit the mainstream. Pretty unique stuff out there.

It never truly has. Wiwek is the only thing anywhere close, but I have found even he is something of an 'acquired taste' to most EDM fans and I've seen many of his tracks get the 'What the f*ck is this weird sh*t?' treatment.

As soon as I heard Jungleterror for the first time I knew I loved it. The track was Ritual - Wiwek and still a favorite to this day.

I think there are a few styles that will sort of blow up in the next little while. One is 90's revival house, deep house is another, and I think indie dance is gaining some momentum as well. In the genres that are popular now there seems to be a trend toward bass heavy minimalism and less 'supersaw' lol.

What are you calling 90's revival house? like rave / house type stuff?

Mainstream- definately deep house
On the internet- future bass! :)...... I wish liquid drum and bass would get bigger

Back