Live performance

I am Alice

Hi, so I've been performing my electronic music in London for the past year. I use ableton push, macbook, sample pad, electronic violin (through a Focusrite scarlett) and my vocals - I play experimental pop/electronica.

I just wondered if anyone else here plays live and how they manage with the logistics of it all. I struggle to find decent stands that will hold all my equipment steadily but also be light enough to carry on public transport. I also find it hard to find venues and nights that attract other electronic acts. I'm a bit tired of playing to crowds more interested in guitar based bands.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated!

As far as appropriate bookings in your area, it all depends on your scene. can you find other artists similar enough to you that you can book as a group/package, or find a club and put on your own ("rock-free") night somewhere?

Re; light stands, it depends on what you want to hold up, how robust your gear is, and how trustworthy you are of them, but a lot of folks (myself included) have gotten away with using music stands for some things (not the cheap wire ones, but a decent solid stand, folding or rigid, like the black Manhassats). Some stands are now made with holes in them that you can actually run cable through:

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Stage-SSKB90H-Music-Portable/dp/B013YW1AEK

Pretty light, sturdy (maybe you need to add a weight or a sandbag to the feet on-stage), and compact for travel...

GJ

Damn - I bought the Ekho 4ft Mobile DJ deck stand (can't post link as I'm a new member) yesterday! Yeah a couple of music stands may have worked - something to think about in the future for sure. Bought it with twin shelves. Pricey but I think it looks great for what I need and the carry bag will be useful.

As far as the electronic nights go - that's what I'm trying to do here - meet other electronic acts because I've not had much luck on the live scene. I supported an electronic group called Shield Patterns one night who had a fairly similar sound to mine but although they were pretty successful they weren't from London. I'm hoping that by joining forums like this that I'll eventually find some other similar acts.

Thanks for your help!
Alice

How long have you been on violin and how do you balance that with all else you named that you use?

I was classically trained on the violin before I started producing. That was about 12 years ago. It's only recently I decided I might as well try and include it in my set. It's an electronic violin so I can use a jack lead to put it through focusrite and then use the Eventide plugin Blackhole to create some really beautiful pad sounds.

I remember Jean Luc Ponty said that when he tried to use an acoustic violin with a pick-up on-stage, that "half the volume was feedback."

The Aquila looks like a pretty awesome instrument. Any audio or video of you playing anywhere on the Web?

GJ

Not recent I'm afraid and minimal equipment because it was an open mic night. I'll post link though even though it's a bit cringey!

Not cringey at all. It led me to your channel; interesting videos. I was hoping to hear your violin, though. Is that on any of your recorded tracks?

GJ

Apologies no. I've only just introduced it to my set. I'll be filming an up-to-date live performance video for my track Ashes this month which has violin so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Back