I hate EDM. Give me some fresh forward thinking house/electronica

tokamusic

Hey guys,

Could you please recommend me some fresh forward thinking house and electronica from the underground?

All I can say is, get an audio interface and a daw that looks best to you with some decent vsts and learn sampling and synthesis.

Edm, as many other genres are very, very very broad umbrellas for music.

As soon as you mention "EDM" it means to me that you don't know much of all the generes of "dance music" and should do some research and listening on youtube and other free sites - just to open up your horizons and ears.

Personally I gravitate toward underground progressive house and minimalistic stuff - things that no EDM DJ would even consider playing.

I can sort of relate. In the beginning I couldn't get with it forreal. But you do have to expand your taste a lil. As far as EDM check out Oxygen Beats. Real cool dude and he does a lot of EDM and experimental type tracks. Check it out it may change your perspective. Hope I helped a bit.

Ya electronic music is certainly super broad, but just off the top of my head, Geotheory is a young producer, he might have just turned 20 im not sure, but he's definitely pretty forward thinking.
here's a good example of his style : https://soundcloud.com/future/geotheory-futuristic-love-pt-1

one of his inspirations is Haywyre who is definitely one of the most talented producers out there, he's an actual musician and that shows in his work.probably shoulda mentioned him first but oh well. this video certainly mesmerized me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXS0EGwCZg

as for artists who pioneered electronic music, ive only recently been discovering jsut how many gems Todd Edwards has made over the years. he won a grammy for working with Daft Punk, and on the surface you would say Daft Punk massively overshadow him. which is true bc they are obvious pioneers too, but even before they got "famous" they credited todd edwards as being a producer tht influenced him. ive been finding a todd edwards song each week that ive never heard before that i like now, it's crazy how much he's put out. he's one of the few artists tht have a very unique style, and one you can instantly recognize as his. he really pioneered the "cut up/chopped up" vocal style.
heres one example of his, which btw is from 2004 and still sounds fresh today in my opinion : https://soundcloud.com/zwr/taken-it-all-todd-edwards-soul-line-radio-vocal-mix-zoot-woman

hopefully you liked at least one of those styles, though i definitely encourage you to search out other branches of electronic music, theres a whole lot more than the repetitive, unoriginal commercial EDM that everyone "loves"

if your into future house/night bass type stuff JVST SAY YES , billy kenny, and sinden are all really good. If you want a more underground techno type vibe DROPLEX, and GLITTER are both really good aswell.

man, just put on some Diplo or Skrillex. People always whining about music don't even know what they want out of music. Take what is readily available and just enjoy it for what it is. You are just another listener.

I'll give you some really unusual recommendations. Pull up the OST from NFS 2 and listen to it lol, (or just video game music in general). It's not house music but it is definitely different from "EDM", which seems to be the new term describing the stuff that comes out of labels like Spinnin' Records lol.

Listen to BT and DJ Sasha. I really enjoyed BT's Flaming June and you might too, since it is an amazing track imo. Not to mention DJ Sasha is great as well. He made a lot of tracks for the Wipeout 3 PS1 game. There's also Cubanate, as well as Au5 and Fractal for more melodic sounds. Au5's Guardians was just great.

There's also Skrillex too for a more mainstream approach. I don't normally listen to a lot of house so that is a difficult one for me to give suggestions on. There's also this artist named eoslinz. She makes a huge amount of "EDM", but it's not what you would expect ;)

Personally I am a fan from Above and Beyond. Try the album We are all we need or Group Therapy, Tri-state. Great stuff!

Actually I don't feel I know what the OP means by EDM. No need to start preaching and explaining what EDM means but I bet I could point out a bunch of genres and artists that I don't think is considered the stereotypical "EDM sound" but the OP might think it is.
On the other hand I could point out genres and styles that I really know can't be considered EDM in any way but it may just be off the grid and useless for the OP.

So be more genre/style specific, even mention subgenres if necessary, an you'll get way better responses that match your taste.

If you don't want EDM, there's literally so much. FlyLo and Burial are honestly some pretty good starts if that's what you're looking for. I'm also a big fan of Kid A, although I don't think that fits what you're looking for aha

Maybe check this group out on FB ;)
This page has been created in order to revive the authentic Belgian sound of former times, better known as 'Newbeat'. You’re invited to ensure our comeback to reclaim our top position once again into the world of music, as was the case 25 years ago (cf. the documentary The Sound Of Belgium). To all electro musicians, I encourage you to follow me and succesfully realize this revival by also producing newbeat! To each of you that holds our music in high esteem, share this page and turn the world of music upside down!
https://www.facebook.com/newbeat2016

Back