Thread: difference between 2 step and garage and various other genre's?

Thanks

difference between 2 step and garage and various other genre's?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know the actual difference between 2 step and old school garage? I have always wanted to produce songs from the following genres; 2 step, (old school) garage, future garage, chill step. Like what are the fundamental rules or conventions in each of the four genre's (e.g. drum/kick pattern etc). I just want a rough guide, really. Also, is it possible if anyone could provide me with a list of artists who i could study from the mentioned genre's?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    anyone??

Thanks
    have you tried searching directly - it is what I have done and whilst only looking in one place (think about it......), have found a wealth of information, though mostly bereft of actual musical details, still lots of insight to artists and motivations

however, the most obvious is the relationship between 2 step and uk garage, easily described as the kick on 1 and 3 vs the kick on 1, 2, 3, and 4, with elements of dubstep thrown over the top of 2-step - tuplets (triplets et al) and syncopated rhythms in the res of the percussion and an emphasis on tempos around 140bpm

future garage can take either path with the percussion emphasising its roots in either uk garage or 2-step (future garage is synonymous with chillstep, although it is likely to be half-time genre ca 70bpm)

artists
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_garage_artists
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-03-2013 at 04:13 AM.
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    good memories
    2 step is a sub genre of uk garage
    to complete bandcoach's post, read some more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-step_garage

Craig David ft Artful Dodger - Re-Rewind - YouTube

Old Skool UK Garage & House Classics Mix - 1997 - Part 1 - Mixed by Chris Renegade - YouTube
    2hr+ UK Garage / 4x4 / Bassline DJ Mix 2012 - YouTube

In my subjective opinion, I always placed 2 step under the mellow genre of garage, like upper two youtube links.
    I then placed uk garage under the more grimier club house version, like the two bottom links. Although, tbh, the differentiation isn't accurate, the term get's loosely put on both genres.

MJ Cole - Sincere - Original (UK Garage) - YouTube
    De la Soul - All good (Mj Cole Remix) - YouTube

Anyway, there some good names in there of the great names, classics gl
    Don't fixate too much on semantics, listen to music, make music!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    however, the most obvious is the relationship between 2 step and uk garage, easily described as the kick on 1 and 3 vs the kick on 1, 2, 3, and 4, with elements of dubstep thrown over the top of 2-step - tuplets (triplets et al) and syncopated rhythms in the res of the percussion and an emphasis on tempos around 140bpm
    2-step is a style that influenced earlier dubstep artists like Skream and Benga, the same happens to garage.

Thanks
    given time lines, I'd say the opposite, also given that dub itself started in the 1970's - gotta love that space echo and what robby and sly did with it
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Everywhere I look on the internet, it is said that dubstep evolved from 2-step garage, grime, reggae, dub, drum and bass (jungle) and breakbeat.

Like this link: Magnetic Man: a brief history of dubstep | Music | theguardian.com

and this link: Dubstep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not trying to start an altercation here, I just want to learn more about the style I love.

Thanks
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Alright, now I see. Thanks Bandcoach, on clearing this up for me. I believe that, as wth most genres, there are misleading information on the internet about the beggining of Dubstep.

DJ Woofa Guest
    From what i understand Uk Garage is Drum & Bass influenced house, 2-step is when you take out the 4x4 kick, you can call 2step UK Garage too. Future Garage is dub influenced ambient 2step, Dubstep. Chillstep doesnt make sense. What people call Dubstep now is actually Grime beats.

Thread Information