Best techno bpm!!!

D

Dj_sabad

i love techno, and all its different aproaches. From minimal, electro, funky, driving and bangin techno.

I think that 133-135 its an exelent bpm for techno!!

i just wanted to hear everyones opinion about these subject.

Thanks.

sabad.

140+.....hmmm.... only the bad techno!

To me, it depends on what feels right for the track tbh. Try playing about with bpms of about 120 or 130.

The genre isn't made by the tempo controls... its all about the right instrumentation and good beat construction.

You shouldn't have to change tempo if you wanted to make minimal tracks instead of a 'hardstyle' track. also, but the beat construction is different.:monkey:

170 For my mixes D&B. Split your head with Acid 6.0. Good people

SevenDollarBill

jumbomonkey said:
140+.....hmmm.... only the bad techno!

So you are calling guys like Tomas Pogadl, Andreas Kremer, the entire UK acid scene, and most mid school Detroit techno 'bad'???

133 is the bpm that keeps the dance floor going all night. Slower it isnt fast enough, and faster tires the crowd out too fast.

I dunno, applying techno theory at a tempo of 133 sounds too much like tek house for my own personal taste, but I'm old and jaded.

Style said:
133 is the bpm that keeps the dance floor going all night. Slower it isnt fast enough, and faster tires the crowd out too fast.

dude you guys need to get hold of some uk techno. in the late 90`s i`m pretty sure some of our hardcore techno boys were hitting 200bpm, it was mental stuff, must admit half of it was noise but the other half was sick.

i mix d&b at 170-175 belive me dude i`ve still been dancin at 7am at the raves.lol

depends on you take on techno, 133 to me is electro, house, maybe break beat??

i`ve never heard techno (as i know it) at 133bpm.

I play at around 137-140 bmp, but I don't pay attention to the bmp. The style I play is tech-house, driving with tribalistic funk.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Melbourne, because of the sick way that ppl dance, 144 - 148 is the general rule of thumb. I agree that 133 is more house than tech, but that's just because that's the speed that they play house at down here.

The dance scene is massive in Melbourne, one of the biggest in the world, complete with it's very own dance style, that must be seen to be believed. Check out www.melbourneshuffler.com or www.shufflin.com if dancing is of interest to any of you guys...

techno is generally slower in bpm than youd think. its pretty easy to make a track at like 124 bpm and get it 'bangin'. faster is not always harder. and i agree, when they get too fast, they turn in cheese.

id say GENerally, between 126 and 138 is 'normal'.....

but rules are for suckers.....

peace.

Another thing - if ur making tunes for DJ's to play out in clubs, find out what tempo they generally play their tracks at. That's how I got onto the 145 average for Melbourne - I asked the DJ's. If your tracks are miles away from the norm for your area, in terms of BPM, they won't get play time because the DJ's wont touch them. *Most* DJ's (NOT ALL) like to play tunes that they can mix easily into their existing set.

Depends i suppose, a couple of my DJ friends play like NRG/Techno Crossover at the 150+.

imo, techno is just a term for dance music that doesn't fit into any other genre :D

Suppose it depends on the type of techno, But me personally id say round 145-155

When I was younger my pitch bend on my 1200's was almost always past +4% now that Im older and am laying off the candy I someimes wish that my turntable would go lower than -8%.... Oh & by the way, the techno I make is usually under 120, but I still call it techno.

I asked somebody what his favorite BPM was and he said 210. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! I don't go past 180 and I think that is rapid.

here in NYC Techno goes like this:
130 is 10pm
135 is 11pm then increase it by 1.5 bpms/hour till about 4:30am
lol
135-140 is a good area for me personally

for producing: 130-136 bpm
for playing: 134-140 bpm

but it all depends on what style of techno are we talking about...

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as techno is a massive genre and as such will have differing speeds and intensities, it is rather small minded to say that there is a certain band of BPM that is right for techno and anything outside is wrong. You should see anything like that as hazy guidelines rather than absolute law...

I have two DJ friends who play breaks and I have seen them almost come to blows arguing over what sort of speed "proper" breakbeat music should be. One plays very funky breaks (slower and more sampled) and one plays bassline breaks (like slowed down drum and bass) so surely there is no right and wrong, just what suits the music and more importantly, what the crowd want.

Even though this is more of a DJ's discussion than a debate for producers, I don't think that there is any value in saying music should be at a set speed - if it works, go with it!

Flax - If you're talking about some of the stuff they used to play at Atomic Jam then I think it was perfect - the more twisted I got, the harder the tunes got! Perfect! :D

Back