Advice for one looking to get back into producing music? (And how do I improve??)

ManiaRib

Hey! Wanted to throw a post in here looking for advice. It's been a good many years since i last worked on a track. I fell into a writer's block, then with starting university and all - I haven't had much time to breathe, let alone open up a DAW and write. This semester I have a bit more free time, and I wan't to get back into it. But I feel that I fell too, too out of it. I can't relate to my old friends, I feel like I fallen behind them in the technical aspects. So I was thinking maybe, in order to get more back into producing music, I'll start learning how to be more technical? Improving myself on creating more vibrant synths, learning how to use more affects and automate them, etc.

So just looking for some help with a plan to get myself back on my feet. And also maybe some quick advice on how I can start learning how to start manipulating my synthesizer settings more? I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment sorry for this messy post ^^ Any help would be much appreciated.

Try some remix competitions as they give a good jumping off point if you get stuck and the deadline forces you to focus and to not give up or start something else that'll probably be half done too. Best way to learn for the most part is to jump in and keep the manual to hand. The learning will come when you're stuck trying to do something it can't do easily and you spend some time figuring it out with the manual or some tutorials.

Find the hours to spend time on it. Watch lots of youtube tutorials on things you know you don't do very well.

Mostly just time. It's really hard to make any progress if you only produce 1 hour a week

Back