90's edm vs today edm

what do you guys think is better

i think 90's edm is better because you can dance to it

today edm all sounds the same and you can't dance to it

groups like bizarre inc sound factory and real mccoy are way better than
calvin harris yuck david guetta double yuck etc
what you guys think

I think that you are going to get some shit for using the term EDM. Which isn't fair, really, but it's the internet so...

I wasn't there, but looking back it doesn't look that great. Everyone was so incredibly limited by the lack of modern technology. I guess the best thing you can say about it is it's a testament to what you can do with so many limitations.

I know some people enjoyed it, but frankly, it's just because they grew up with it and everyone looks back at the time when they were that age with rose tinted specs. There probably used to be a ragtime generation who grew up in the 1890s and thought that that was better than all this new jazz.

Last edited:
You can dance to anything, really. People dance to breakcore, people dance to Squarepusher, people dance to Aphex Twin.

You can't define quality of a genre with only "it's danceable" variant. Besides, "today's electronic dance music isn't danceable" is YOUR opinion. the industry and the overcrowded events show exactly the opposite.

There is no way anyone can honestly say you can't dance to edm today. 66% of the term "EDM" is "Dance Music". Then again, edm has morphed into its own thing.

I think you are referring to the seemingly watered down pop sound of modern edm. I think it's actually way more complex and exciting than it ever has been in its history.

However, just roaming soundcloud alone, you'll find some amazing music. Back then, the accessibility of creating this digital stuff wasn't nearly as widespread. I'm really glad it is now.

I see what he's saying about not being able to dance. WAY too many build-ups, which aren't conducive to dancing.

i like current dance music personally.

depends, 90's edm is more unique track for track
I don't think this is true at all. I also think that when people like music, they always think it's more varied because they listen to it more and notice more differences.

The most popular artists are a bit poppy, yes, and there are lots of copycat artists about, (most notably oliver heldens, calvin harris, skrillex and martin garricks clones) but there's also a huge volume of quality music.

I'm gonna have to say the 90's/early 2000 because of capcom and namco.
Specifically tekken 3/4 along thirdstrike if those count. and songs that sound like ali G's wicked song, and busta rhymes.

What's interesting is that most of these types of threads don't respect the most fundamental part in the world/art of music - the taste.
Some people commenting on these (not all of course) are more like "hey I like this more than this so that means that this is actually better music than this and I must force this interesting opinion on the others so they start appreciating what I consider being 'good music' - because I like it".

So your taste goes more towards the 90's dance music - well good for you.

66% of the term IDM is "Dance Music", but you can't dance to some Squarepusher or Aphex Twin songs.

IDM is not a thing. Even aphex twin himself said It's basically saying 'this is intelligent and everything else is stupid.' It's really nasty to everyone else's music. It makes me laugh.

What do you mean by that? Electronic Dance Music is always what it has been: a collective of sub-genres, each one with its own characteristics.

The term edm has developed a bit of a negative connotation. If you got the opinion of a bunch of different electronic music lovers, many would say EDM is just a bunch of big sounds without much substance. These people like to dissociate the music they make / listen to from EDM. Doesn't mean it's right, or that it's necessarily my opinion, it's just the way a lot of people see it.

To my (limited) knowledge, the term EDM was never that polarizing back in the day. Hence, it's morphed into its own thing.

Mainstream music has never played nicely with me. EDM is not a horrible word per se, but in the context it's being used, to me it has become a term that comprises a great deal of music I just can't stand.

I wouldn't stretch as far as saying the electronic music was better in the 90's, it was a very awkward decade and I wouldn't want it back. However early/mid 2000 was a great time for the type of music I like. I have to look very hard to find those things these days. For every 3000 albums I sift through on Spotify or whatever, I find maybe 3 new names that I find even a bit interesting.

What's interesting is that most of these types of threads don't respect the most fundamental part in the world/art of music - the taste.
Some people commenting on these (not all of course) are more like "hey I like this more than this so that means that this is actually better music than this and I must force this interesting opinion on the others so they start appreciating what I consider being 'good music' - because I like it".

So your taste goes more towards the 90's dance music - well good for you.

Amen, brother..

And there you have my answer to this topic as well. But that's personal taste. Most edm nowadays hurts my ears, most edm from the 90's is painfully stale and amateurish. And electronic music has always been repetitive and easy to copy... that's kind of the point.
Edm is a shit term. Do you mean DJ Jean or Brian Eno? Ministry of Sound, Berlin warehouses or Ibiza?

It would be interesting to get other peoples take on this as well.

But the main difference from EDM and 90s EDM, or what you would call mainstream Eurodance.
20-10's EDM emphasize buildup, peaks, tension and climax, while Eurodance is worshiping the hook and blockbuster composition.
BPM has dropped from 140 to 128 and as a result of that, structure has slightly changed from a ABABCB(B) to a ABACB(B), so 90s was able to squeeze one more chorus into the structure.
Another defining factor is that the middle 8 section has changed from a rap section to a dubstep section.

Overall, 90s hooks you more into the track and is a lot more rythmical for your body, making it very easy stick to memory.
20-10s EDM is a lot more interesting to listen to when your not on the dance floor, its also a lot more experimental with both sound and structure.

dance music back in the 90s/early 2000s was limited due to the pcs and samplers that they had to work with, but overall the music was more creative and a lot of artists had their own distinct sound. nowadays its hard to tell an artist from a song and the lyrical quality has gone way downhill too. too many producer following the trends in order to make a quick buck or make a name instead of just being yourself and do what you really like.

Back