What Type of sounds do I need to make a Riddim ?

K-Samples

Many Samples to be Abused
What Type of sounds do I need to make a Riddim ?

What r the fundamentals ?

What software Synths would be good for making Riddims ?

What types of music aside from Reggae would be good for listening to get inspiration to make Riddims ?

Do the drum patterns Vary from that of Hip Hop or R&B ?

When you "listen" to various dancehall... what do you hear and SEE? Instead of trying to emulate the tools used, try capturing the pulse of the riddim... and get to creating.

I think it should be rather obvious that the drum pattern varies. Put on your headphones and listen carefully. You'll hear the difference. As for what synths to use, it makes no difference. Use whatever sounds good. Kicks, snares, claps, shakers, cabasas, hi hats, crashes, congos, and tambs are what you need. Just like hip hop and r&b. I use a Yamaha PSR85(really old) keyboard, FM7, Hydra, Fruity Keys, Boo Bass, and alot of free software to do my stuff. Oh yeah, Hyper canvas too.

If you're looking for a textbook lesson... here's one that I even found interesting. (yes, it's open for debate... I took this from one of the sites I now visit...)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Rite now me gwaan try an answer this one properly...

Dancehall aint disco reggae, reggae and disco always battled in Jamaica - watch rockers and witness the 'take over' - seen?

Furthermore jamaican music has always been designed to make people dance and get gals to wine. From Ska through to Raggamuffin its all based on the sound system culture.

Dancehall can be seen as first begining to emerge with the Deejay style of toasting that began to used over existing roots and rocksteady instrumental riddims in the early 70's. U-roy, King Yellowman and Big Youth were prominent examples of this.

However Danchall proper did not emerge until the transition from analogoue Dub to Digital Riddims. Arguably The first true dancehall tune was under mi sleng teng by Wayne Smith. Dancehall was based on the use heavily stripped back, simplistic riddims created largely on cheap casio keyboard synths. Often the factory preset 'reggae' drum pattern on the keyboard would used. Initially these riddims still carried prominent elements of earlier reggae such as skanks, one drops e.t.c, however as time went by the aformentioned 3-3-2 drum beat emerged and took over. It would be fair to say that the musicians lost their importance and the riddims were overtly simplified as the deejay became the star of dancehall 'reggae.'

Also dancehall for the most part (excluding the likes of Luciano and Ranking Joe) saw the rastafari consciousness of roots be replaced by explicitly sexualised, often violent slackness. It would not be inaccurate to say that Dancehall was a more commerically motivated style however it could also be argued the people who frequented the dancehalls became sick of roots and were after a dramatic change in style.

If you ask me the emergence of dancehall from reggae is not really too different from the way hip hop emerged from soul funk music. Indeed the too can be parrallelled. For example the sugar hill gang use an old soul 'riddim' for their first hit."- end
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The fundementals... have always been RESPECT.

A few years ago Beenie Man was on BET saying Reggae & Dancehall were comparable to R&B & Rap respectively. I can't really argue with the article, Dancehall is more violent & sexualized than traditionally what was Reggae (Roots, Dub, Lovers Rock) at the time. I know older heads who hate Dancehall with a passion and stick to the music they came up on or the current stuff thats not as slack or violent. They don't like Ele but they'll listen to Capleton.

To The Original Poster: check out interruptor.ch and The Rasta Box plug-in + listen to a lot of music. Listening to Scientists stuffs been influencing the way I mix my tracks.

DJ R. Sun - I love scientist. Dub has my heart

I'll try to answer the question you asked;

Reggae Bassline
trumpets or other horns
organ
various shakers and hand percussion
Roto toms!

"Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires" is his only album I've heard, I'm really loving it. I'm trying to get my hands on the Space Invadas records and some of his other stuff.

well you can find just about anything if you look in the right place, scientist is tough though

tell dem mad mixa dem affi watch rockers,removeyaah.but yeh man just
use some sub bass,organs,acoustic guitar,electric guitar ,strings,synths,and all kinds of drums and percussions,also remember to leave space for the artist,keep it simple but melodic and rhytmic.remember look up the rockers movie ,its a real insperation.

They shot part of Rockers in my district. Listen to Jackie Mittoo also he has a lot of good instrumental tracks, you'll get a good feel of what your going to need. I love those Reggae organs (Shine Eye Gal one of my favorite ones). The Harder They Come has some good studio footage also.

Maan, u can use any instrument...frm Snares, Toms, Hats, Strings, Percs...wateva maan.....juss depends on how n wherr u apply them....but as u know, summ instruments shld juss be therr in any beat, instroz like Hats...they add a flavour 2 de touch...Also, try slicing some beats frm Riddims u like, n use them too...for effects, ...4 those guys who play PC Games...always check the Game Folder, there're alwayz weird n nice effects therr...truss mie....if u wan summ Riddim (Fruity) templates, juss send mi a pm n we'll wekk frm derr

DjTinah said:
Maan, u can use any instrument...frm Snares, Toms, Hats, Strings, Percs...wateva maan.....juss depends on how n wherr u apply them....but as u know, summ instruments shld juss be therr in any beat, instroz like Hats...they add a flavour 2 de touch...Also, try slicing some beats frm Riddims u like, n use them too...for effects, ...4 those guys who play PC Games...always check the Game Folder, there're alwayz weird n nice effects therr...truss mie....if u wan summ Riddim (Fruity) templates, juss send mi a pm n we'll wekk frm derr

thks very much

It's not what samples you need, it's what samples you've got and knowing how to use it. I've useed a 15 piece drum kit to produce 3 different 'Dance Hall Drum N Bass' tunes just by tweaking each sample hit for each tune. So you can take a Hip Hop Break Sample and make a Dance Hall Track by tweaking the drums. Try listening to a track you like make the same drum pattern then add xtra kicks or & snares & percussions.

almost any sound can be used in a riddim...traditional kicks,snares/claps,hats/shakers...synths of course, bass...many different instruments.

depends... listen to dancehall music and then try to emulate what you hear... most dancehall music are an average of 98 bpm more or less

morenaso said:
depends... listen to dancehall music and then try to emulate what you hear... most dancehall music are an average of 98 bpm more or less

thank u. i will try and make a riddim tonite.

Back