What are some of the problems you face as a music artist.

Olivia500

Olivia500
What are some of the problems you face as a music artist.

What are some of the problems you face trying to "break in" the industry or just get noticed.

1. Building Fans?
2. Getting your music heard?
3. People to support and buy your music?
4. Overcoming writers block/ getting motivated?
5.Marketing yourself?
6. etc,ect,etc...

What are your top problems you have faced and the ones that keep reoccurring and holding you back?

This is a difficult question to answer; however, for me, the biggest problem I run into is time shortage. It just seems like there's not enough time in a day to accomplish everything.

Number 4 is a big one for me. I also have problems finding a sound that I know I haven't heard before, sounding like someone else bothers me.

I've just started puttin my beats out there so I can't say for sure which 1's I'm having problems with besides finding a rapper whos looking for new beats I don't feel like I make $20 beats btw. But that's the issue right now finding those who want beats. I'd also like a cluster of email address of people who are looking for someone who makes dope beats so I can send them my work

I've just started puttin my beats out there so I can't say for sure which 1's I'm having problems with besides finding a rapper whos looking for new beats I don't feel like I make $20 beats btw. But that's the issue right now finding those who want beats. I'd also like a cluster of email address of people who are looking for someone who makes dope beats so I can send them my work

create your own mailing list

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

My biggest problem is getting kind of annoying. It starts when some kid posts my address on the internet, then when I get get home there's a bunch of people on my porch yelling stuff like "I love you, Dr. Strangelove!" or "Dr. Strangelove, sign my baby!"

Then I'll do an interview with the source or XXL or something and I'm like "Yo, mother****ers need to respect my privacy or I'mma bring out the suicide special." Then, media outlets pick it up and try to say that I'm threatening to kill my fans- but really I'm just trying to make a point. They make me look like some kind of monster when all I want is for my little girl to be able to play in the yard without people yelling and taking photos and shit.

Of course, the city won't let me put a fence up because of "zoning laws". It's getting to be a little much.

Have that.....sorta elementary

Not really, I use my mailing list all the time. Its great for sending Exclusive Tracks and Remix's, stuff that I want only my active fans to see cause it keeps them, well... active. Active fans means they dig what you do, which means they'll go to your concerts, buy your tracks, spread the word about you... etc.

"Without the Fans its just a bunch of a noise." - DJ Rot13

Most difficult part of making music is finding a skilled rapper / hip-hop artist with unique style to lay vocals over my tracks.
Mad lame. Trying not to lose hope though.

The marketing part is the most tricky one for many new artists. It's important to find the right balance between being more or less mainstraim and thus popular, and at the same time being orignal or creative. To many young artists are copying their idols and get lost in the pack. You have to be more of the same, but with a different twist. And that's easier said than done...

my biggest pet peeve, not really a problem i guess, is people hitting me up for beats that just want handouts and dont want to even spend $25 for a beat lease, like really bruh? it cost as much for a T-Shirt or you and yur girl eating a meal at BurgerKing, do you take yourself seriously? like i just spent the last year of my life building up a $15k home studio, having little to no social life, reading every book watching every video on mixing, arrangement etc... to just hand you a beat i spent my time on, so you can go hand my $25 to the WeedMan to write something, probably not even tight, to my beat

problem
olivia it has to be marketing. there are no good outlets when it comes to putting out your music whether you're a singer, rapper, songwriter, producer, live instrument player, etc. the majors have soundcloud, youtube, facebook, myspace, itunes, amazon, etc. we have those outlets to but we get massacred every single time because we're nobodies. how can i compete with laidback luke or katy perry? it's damn near impossible because they've got conglomerates and their name. what do i have? talent? not enough anymore.

solution
we need a marketing revolution for no name artists. an attractive and inviting site catered only to the music listener who wants to hear new music from no names and NOT the creator. seriously have you seen the comments to views ratio on sites where the users are 99% musicians like soundcloud or even here on futureproducers? for every 200 views you get like two sad little verbal responses like "wow" or "good job on the chords come check out my sounds!" and by who?? other music creators. not listeners but creators. now lets look at a site like youtube where everybody is a user. you, me, your coworker. all of us. as soon as some random fool puts up a new song by a big brand name artist the comments, likes, a views come pouring in. 100k in an hour?! the choice is clear. we need a new outlet for no named artists who are putting out good, quality music. i think i'm going to blog this. :-)

Arthur_D's sets on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Mine probs is time shortage is well. Trying to balance a full time job, family birthdays n events, friends and music. I wish I planned all this before I got a job. therefore the money now would've just been to finance the plan. I'll get there

money. a lack of money is bad for anyone's business no matter what you're promoting/selling lol. you can have all the talent in the world but without money its like you don't exist.

You'll never accomplish everything in a day. You just have to get that illusion of time out of your mind.
It's just a saying we have here in the United States. I wouldn't be interested in this business if everything could be done in a day. Time is my most valuable commodity and I wish there was more of it, you know?

money. a lack of money is bad for anyone's business no matter what you're promoting/selling lol. you can have all the talent in the world but without money its like you don't exist.

This. This business is pretty expensive it isn't $100,000 to franchise with Mcdonald's expensive, but it's still pretty expensive. Without it good luck. But other than underestimating the amount of capital required to pursue this, I would say building fans and rising above the noise, is just frustrating as hell. Promoters are inundated with artists asking to be booked, how does someone without any draw or buzz cut through all the other voices? I think it's always a compound issue when dealing with the frustrations of this biz.

...how does someone without any draw or buzz cut through all the other voices?

simple. with money. lol its just that simple. hard to acquire legally though. I put the emphasis on the word legally because by now you should already know that there are a large some of stars that acquired large amounts of cash way before they became a household name. some got lucky and had lucrative ways of getting money like the duo called nervo from their modeling gig prior to music. lucky. others resorted to crime such as selling drugs in order to raise the right amount of capital to rise to the charts.

other acts like solja boy, deadmau5, and avicii, the 1st wave of internet successions, got big online before the internet way of marketing took off. neither were even that good when they started but because they were the 1sts of their kinds they were able to rise above the noise and into stardom without money because those big conglomerates (big labels, promoters, etc.) weren't there to capitalize. YET lol.

Last edited:
simple. With money. Lol its just that simple. Hard to acquire legally though. I put the emphasis on the word legally because by now you should already know that there are a large some of stars that acquired large amounts of cash way before they became a household name. Some got lucky and had lucrative ways of getting money like the duo called nervo from their modeling gig prior to music. Lucky. Others resorted to crime such as selling drugs in order to raise the right amount of capital to rise to the charts.

Other acts like solja boy, deadmau5, and avicii, the 1st wave of internet successions, got big online before the internet way of marketing took off. Neither were even that good when they started but because they were the 1sts of their kinds they were able to rise above the noise and into stardom without money because those big conglomerates (big labels, promoters, etc.) weren't there to capitalize. Yet lol.

truth.

Back