What is the best way to sell beats?

mguz11

Hey guys.. Just a question about which methods are effective for selling beats. I've been making beats for about 2 years now and I've sold about 4 beats total. Nothin huge but still got me stoked that when people hit me up on my SC they actually go thru with buying a beat. What drives me crazy is the number of emails I get from people saying "oh I came across this certain beat (whatever beat they pick out of my many) and I instantly fell in love with it and have to use it on my next project, how much can I get it for? Which I reply my normal prices are $20 for a lease and $50 for exclusive rights, which I think is a hell of a deal considering the time and effort I put into making the damn thing. Only to never hear from them again. I mean what the hell is wrong with people? They hit me up saying they gotta have this beat then they disappear into space when I give them prices. I mean are my prices to high?? There's no way I will go down I price I mean hell I think they are worth way more than what I'm asking but damn, everyone wants something for free now a days. I mean hell we are being undercut as producers on the business side of things. I think id probably have better luck selling beat tapes as a whole instead. But my focus is to find a mc who I can work with, someone who's willing to invest in me as much as I invest in them. It just seems so lopsided in today's world, I mean hell go jack a lil Wayne beat those are free. Sorry if I'm ranting but it makes my blood boil when in the last 24 hours I've had 4 supposed mCs hit me up then run away. Just makes no since. Anyways peace and love fam

Maybe your emails are just super intimidating, haha. Really though, most rappers are cheap and don't want to pay for beats, studio time, or anything else. In the rare instances that I've sold beats I've found that it's through personal connections. Either I know them or a friend of mine referred them my way. Of course, I'm not sitting on a gold mine by any means so I'm definitely not any supreme authority on this matter. Good luck!

Hahahahaha I'm just like "buy my beats you wack ass emcee" haha nah I'm usually pretty professional when sending emails. I mean it's whatever because I don't rely on selling beats to put food on the table or anything, I make them because it's fun and I enjoy it. It's just a kick to the groin when people hit me up like "hey awesome beat!, sike I'm broke and weak" haha. It's cool tho I know one day eminem will hit me up for that one beat lol.

the worst thing is when the rappers who expect free beats sing a bunch of songs about having so much money and not knowing what to do with it :4theloveofgod:

There is no best way. Some people are very successful with social media others email. You have to find something you feel comfortable and run tests on conversions.

Someone I went to school for music production with had a website where he had premade beats, the site charged credit cards etc.. but he got most of his attention through posting school wide alert-type emails though. He had a price for complete rights over the track or whatever and a price just for the beat, with vocals saying dj whatever every few seconds due to piracy. I make EDM so I don't really know, personally I'd call some friends and look for wanna-be rappers, or go to the hood and look for people that want to rap heh. You coulddd... just add tons of people on a separate facebook account and post your new beats when you make them and say they're for sale.. just popped in my head no rage at me. lol

If you got a few people buying then what i recommend keeping in touch with them and updating your catalog regularly so they will become repeat buyers. As far as getting more people to buy promote your ass off. There are buyers you just got to find them. Promote more. The more people run across your beats the more chances you have of making those sales.

I think the best way to sell beats is putting all your beats out there for free. You get exposure and free promotion for one thing. There's times when I see people share my beats from soundcloud onto twitter with the share widget and I think thats good cause its lets more people hear my beats.

Most of the time beat sales are completely random..like someone who came across my beat or track on youtube will usually come to my main website and order the track for their project. Its pretty much passive but the more beats you share and the longer you have them online the better.

So yea..this whole internet thing is really about sharing and letting the customers come to you and your brand...cause nothing else has worked for me but this.

You'll get e-mails of people asking about beats and prices and stuff, in my experience, none of those have lead to sales. Anyone who is serious about buying your beat will just go to your website and order it.

All of this is really a automatic process.

Last edited:
Hey guys.. Just a question about which methods are effective for selling beats. I've been making beats for about 2 years now and I've sold about 4 beats total. Nothin huge but still got me stoked that when people hit me up on my SC they actually go thru with buying a beat. What drives me crazy is the number of emails I get from people saying "oh I came across this certain beat (whatever beat they pick out of my many) and I instantly fell in love with it and have to use it on my next project, how much can I get it for? Which I reply my normal prices are $20 for a lease and $50 for exclusive rights, which I think is a hell of a deal considering the time and effort I put into making the damn thing. Only to never hear from them again. I mean what the hell is wrong with people? They hit me up saying they gotta have this beat then they disappear into space when I give them prices. I mean are my prices to high?? There's no way I will go down I price I mean hell I think they are worth way more than what I'm asking but damn, everyone wants something for free now a days. I mean hell we are being undercut as producers on the business side of things. I think id probably have better luck selling beat tapes as a whole instead. But my focus is to find a mc who I can work with, someone who's willing to invest in me as much as I invest in them. It just seems so lopsided in today's world, I mean hell go jack a lil Wayne beat those are free. Sorry if I'm ranting but it makes my blood boil when in the last 24 hours I've had 4 supposed mCs hit me up then run away. Just makes no since. Anyways peace and love fam

you're thinking like a producer man. my dream is to also have find a worthy artist who i can work with. but my catch is this. you have to be in this for real. no quitters or people who take this as a joke. if i give you a beat for free it means i believe in you. i'll give you my music for free because i want to work with you! people like that are not real artists. because if they knew what art is they wouldn't treat you or your craft like garbage.

the next time someone asks you how much you say "what is your budget"? never throw out numbers. people hate talking about money.

---------- Post added at 05:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

I think the best way to sell beats is putting all your beats out there for free. You get exposure and free promotion for one thing.

i'm going to have to disagree. free promotion is when your product is carried over to a large number of people. so giving your music up for free these days is a bad idea. especially instrumentals. one of my beats is now on sale via beatport and i never authorized it. a friend of mine had one of his beats taken by a wiz khalifa representative and placed on his mixtape. we know its his beat because his voice tag "i ain't going down" was in the beat. free is only good when you benefit from it. not others.

Back