Ten Grand To Release iTunes LP (GrindEFX)

galacticboy

Registered Loser
On September 8th, Apple unveiled its latest ‘innovation’ to help prop up the recorded music industry - the iTunes LP. For only seven bucks more than a regular digital album, you can get some pretty pictures and liner notes. Facepalm!

But the story doesn’t end there.

Last week, Brian McKinney of Chocolate Lab Records told Gizmodo that Apple was charging record labels $10,000 in production costs to release an album in the iTunes LP format - and indie record labels need not apply. Apple later denied that allegation and said it is working on releasing the specs for the LP format and making them available to all, indie and major labels alike.

Regardless of the outcome of this “he said she said” tempest, it amplifies the silliness of the iTunes LP format itself.

Several web developers have dissected the format to find that it is essentially HTML, Javascript, CSS, and multimedia content - a website. For a little more than the cost of an actual physical CD, you get to save files to your hard drive that largely mirror content you can find online, from the artist’s website itself to Wikipedia, YouTube, and others.

Read the rest on GrindEFX

encapsulated file format containing a simple Flash file would be enough.
but wtf do I know?
it's not like I thought about this shyt 10 years ago and stopped to care when I realized, there are not as many smart people out there as I thought. LOL

why are labels still trying to sell records??
why would you want to sell 100 records for less than $15
when your artist can do 1 show in 1 day and make 100 times more than that??

these labels are stupid

Back